Alternative with no name - any problem with that?

Danny Wyatt

If I only have a project alternative and I completely remove the name, will I ever get in trouble because of that?
image.png.50a0ef4e8d6886e3a5eea0a5deb2c3ba.png

Sometimes I rename my Logic file and not the alternative and then I have both names at the top of the window, which is kinda confusing. I have never used project alternatives on my workflow, I rather save new Logic files, so this is not something that I see myself using at all and I like to have the name at the top as clean as possible. Any known issues with this approach of having a blank alternative name?

1 hour ago, Danny Wyatt said:

If I only have a project alternative and I completely remove the name, will I ever get in trouble because of that?

No. I often work like that (for the very reasons you've mentioned) and have never experienced any issues. 

I wish Logic Pro's behavior regarding the display of alternative names was more consistent. 

22 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

No. I often work like that (for the very reasons you've mentioned) and have never experienced any issues. 

Good to know! Yes, I have most of my projects like that and never had any issues.

23 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I wish Logic Pro's behavior regarding the display of alternative names was more consistent

If you are super OCDed about your workflow and you always keep that in check, always updating the names, etc, the issue is not big and can actually help seeing what version of the project you're working on. But if you don't use alternatives, that's just something that gets in the way. I think we could have a global setting where it would completely enable/disable alternatives and then for each project we would have a way to enable/disable them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Exactly. And I never use alternatives, I don't like them, they don't work for my workflow. 

One thing I like about alternatives is that Logic keeps track of what audio files and regions are used by all alternatives, so you can do a project cleanup after deleting unused regions and you won't inadvertently delete a file that is in use by an alternative other than the one you're currently working on.

Do you have any tips or tricks for keeping track of which files are in use by some version of your project (I.e. a differently named project file in the same folder), to avoid deleting files you really want to keep?

2 hours ago, dmitch57 said:

One thing I like about alternatives is that Logic keeps track of what audio files and regions are used by all alternatives, so you can do a project cleanup after deleting unused regions and you won't inadvertently delete a file that is in use by an alternative other than the one you're currently working on.

Do you have any tips or tricks for keeping track of which files are in use by some version of your project (I.e. a differently named project file in the same folder), to avoid deleting files you really want to keep?

I just started converting all my projects to packages and it seems the best option for me for numerous reasons. I was always reluctant about packages, but found the best way to make it work. One thing I always struggled with was the fact that with folders sometimes it would use files with the same name from a different project either on the arrangement itself or a sampler instrument. With packages that doesn’t happen and you end up with just 1 file per project instead of 4 or 5 folders (Audio Files, Sampler Instruments, Samples, etc). So far I’m enjoying it this way. If you save different versions as different packages, even though the size on disk will decrease compared to using a folder, you won’t accidentally delete files used by another version. For my workflow I don’t really mind having multiple packages as I delete all of them when I’m done with the project and just keep the final version

Edited by Danny Wyatt