High Sierra Logic Pro X blues

Vaud

I have seen similar posts but no resolution that works for me.  I previously had Logic Pro X on a hard drive.  All my work is contained on this, now external hard drive.  I upgraded to a bigger internal hard drive and tried to drag over Logic to it but it didn't transfer.  So I began to look for my receipt of purchase...at least 10 years ago...I can't find it anywhere.  Not in my Apple store purchases, not anywhere.    So I thought, I guess I have to purchase it again.   Problem is, my computer is a 2011 Intel Imac and will not take any upgrade.  It will not allow me to purchase any updated Logic software.  I am stuck.  Does anyone know how I can purchase a version of Logic (10.4) that will work on High Sierra?  I tried Apple tech support but they told me it was a lost cause.  Some people have tried to go to an Apple store and logged in with their Apple ID to repurchase software for those in these situations, and then download it on their old computer at home.  Many people have reported that this doesn't work.   Can anyone offer any ideas?  I can't upgrade to a newer computer and Garageband is just not deep enough for what I need to do.  

If you have Logic Pro X on your AppleID, you should be able to redownload it from the AppStore, which should give you a version you can run on your system. You don't need to buy it again if you already bought LPX.

If you have no record of purchase, perhaps you purchased it with a different AppleID/email address? You can only purchase LPX from the AppStore, and it doesn't "forget" purchases made on an account.

You can't rebuy it anyway, as the AppStore won't let you buy an app where the current version is incompatible with your system.

I don't know what you mean by:-

46 minutes ago, Vaud said:

tried to drag over Logic to it but it didn't transfer. 

It's easy enough to copy the application from one drive to another, it's just a file/bundle, so I don't know what you mean by "didn't transfer"...

Hi, thanks.  I originally purchased a used computer with Logic already installed.  Then when I began recording, I didn't want to have any issues with updates or crashing so I purchased it roughly around 2014.  It is not in my purchases and I can't find any other apple id that works.  So I am stuck there.    I've contacted Apple and asked if they could find any record of my purchase but they just direct me to itunes or app store past purchase records.

The old hard drive is an external hard drive now and not the one that boots up my computer.  I have tried to drag Logic over from my external drive to my operating hard drive(the one that boots the system)...just drag and drop of an app.  It does drag over.  Then when I click on Logic, it seems to begin downloading "essential files" and then crashes every time.    I would gladly pay for it again if I could find the version that would work.

9 minutes ago, Vaud said:

just drag and drop of an app.  It does drag over.  Then when I click on Logic, it seems to begin downloading "essential files" and then crashes every time.

Perhaps the problem is more with your computer than Logic download…

What are your system specs?

On 8/5/2022 at 11:47 PM, Vaud said:

I've contacted Apple and asked if they could find any record of my purchase but they just direct me to itunes or app store past purchase records.

Hey Vaud, have you tried to look up your banking records? I'd say, if you used a credit card to buy the app, it might still be possible to locate the transaction. You know the year when it happened, so it should be quite easy actually.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:52 PM, Vaud said:

image.png.dbfde909c0d0c5b993c92c30d26a2fc4.png

Since it started downloading the sound library, it means Logic works fine. As for crashing, my guess would be that the app package that you transferred from your (now external) HD might still have permissions set for your previous macOS user account (especially if your username and password are now different). You could launch Disk Utility and check your current system disk for any permission issues (and if it detects them, repair permissions). Hope that helps. Cheers!

Process:               Logic Pro X [1001]
Path:                  /Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic Pro X
Identifier:            com.apple.logic10
Version:               10.0.3 (2911.58)
Build Info:            MALogic-2911058000000000~1
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Logic Pro X [1001]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2022-08-10 10:07:13.666 -0400
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14042)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        1F4F1216-6784-EA09-326D-DCC87354A229

Time Awake Since Boot: 700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        31  Dispatch queue: NSOperationQueue 0x60400043f8a0 (QOS: UTILITY)

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
dyld: in dladdr()
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[DfJamPackManager _stopSearching]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fb4c0444f80'
Performing @selector(saveDocumentTo:) from sender CLgMenuItem 0x60000011de20
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Edited by Vaud
Vaud

Ok, that is a very very early version of Logic - 10.0.3 from 2013, running on a later OS (10.13, when 10.9 was current for your version of Logic, and there were a lot of significant macOS changes since 10.9 and High Sierra), so it's not surprising it's crashy.

You really need to get a later version of Logic. I've never heard of purchased items dissappearing from your AppStore/Apple account, so I guess perhaps you purchased this on a different Apple ID in the past?

Once you can get into your account you purchased Logic on, you'll be able to upgrade it, and this should solve your issues...

Edited by des99