My bounced master track automation isn't the same as my playback in the DAW

SoSpiro

it's little things that matter a lot, like the automation is 1 second earlier or later in the bounced track compared to live DAW playback.  This happens when the CPU bar gets high, but i'm wondering if there is anything i can do after i've already done everything to mitigate cpu usage (freeze tracks, deactivate tracks/plug-ins, etc.).  i'm trying a real-time bounce, but i don't want to have to do that every time this happens because it's a lot of time. is there another way?

how long are the projects? i mean, a real-time bounce of a 4 minute song takes... 4 minutes. and if that works, it's not a bad thing.

you could try bouncing in place (with the automation) any tracks that have a problem (altho sorting that out could take longer than a real-time bounce.

but see what others say (there are smarter people than me on this forum) 

On 8/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, fisherking said:

how long are the projects? i mean, a real-time bounce of a 4 minute song takes... 4 minutes. and if that works, it's not a bad thing.

you could try bouncing in place (with the automation) any tracks that have a problem (altho sorting that out could take longer than a real-time bounce.

but see what others say (there are smarter people than me on this forum) 

thank you, but i'm looking for another way that doesn't involve that.

Here's a workaround i use. Takes around 5 minutes to set up.

Works only if the issue is related to the automation of plugins on Master Output.

Create an audio track, COPY (not cut/move) all your plugins that you've got on master, to that new audio track.

Click A, go into Automation mode, copy and paste your automations from Master Output to your newly created empty. audio track. One by one, plugin by plugin.

Deactivate everything on Master Bus and make sure it's not going above -0.2 dB peak. 

Bounce the song. Save the session.

Close it. Create a new project. Import your bounced audio. Then click File > Import > Logic Projects.

Find your previous project, select the audio track you had created at 2nd step. Tick the Plugins and Automation box, actually tick everything related to that track.

Now COPY (not cut/move) the plugins on that track to Master Bus. Afterwards copy and paste your automations to the Master Output track.

Delete the audio track you imported.

Bounce the session.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djsnake said:

Here's a workaround i use. Takes around 5 minutes to set up.

Works only if the issue is related to the automation of plugins on Master Output.

Create an audio track, COPY (not cut/move) all your plugins that you've got on master, to that new audio track.

Click A, go into Automation mode, copy and paste your automations from Master Output to your newly created empty. audio track. One by one, plugin by plugin.

Deactivate everything on Master Bus and make sure it's not going above -0.2 dB peak. 

Bounce the song. Save the session.

Close it. Create a new project. Import your bounced audio. Then click File > Import > Logic Projects.

Find your previous project, select the audio track you had created at 2nd step. Tick the Plugins and Automation box, actually tick everything related to that track.

Now COPY (not cut/move) the plugins on that track to Master Bus. Afterwards copy and paste your automations to the Master Output track.

Delete the audio track you imported.

Bounce the session.

why does this work?

simplified version, is this just:

1. creating a new audio track
2. copying all plug-ins and automation from master to audio track
3. exiting and reopening logic
4. copying all plug-ins and automation BACK to the master track
5. deleted audio track
6. bouncing

what does this achieve exactly? (no snark, just a genuine question)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 1:55 AM, djsnake said:

It works because you gain processing power. Point is to divide the project into 2 parts. So you got enough CPU power to run huge plugins without issues. Huge plugins means latency, which means automation timing bug.

gotcha.  thank you.

• Like 1