Limit instrument channel to one midi channel

Nunstummy

1 hour ago, gacki said:

Have you assigned specific channels to the MIDI objects? Typically those are set to "Channel 1-16" and consequently grab all MIDI data regardless of chan

No I haven’t.  It seems when I create a new instrument in a channel strip it defaults to 1 - 16 and I can’t figure out how to limit it to just 1 midi channel.  

I meant something different: I would solve this by creating a second input device in layout mode and assign the channels there. Then you could use the desired input device.

(Please ignore my "MIDI port" setting; this will of course be your Novation device).

Keyboard:

729887534_NovationKeys.thumb.jpg.ed7c96d06f6b2355cec967b7465e035f.jpg

Pads:

1934529870_NovationPads.jpg.d1202e9f463490bb1477e1a238f7a58b.jpg

Now you could either use the Pads with MIDI Channel 10 oder the Keys with MIDI Channel 1 as input to your instruments.

7 hours ago, gacki said:

I would solve this by creating a second input device in layout mode and assign the channels there. Then you could use the desired input device.

Whenever I successfully create a new MIDI Input in Layout, the only available choice for the instrument channelstrips’Input remains limited to either Keyboard1 or None…

What am I missing?

On 8/11/2022 at 9:07 AM, gacki said:

I meant something different: I would solve this by creating a second input device in layout mode and assign the channels there. Then you could use the desired input device.

(Please ignore my "MIDI port" setting; this will of course be your Novation device).

Keyboard:

729887534_NovationKeys.thumb.jpg.ed7c96d06f6b2355cec967b7465e035f.jpg

Pads:

1934529870_NovationPads.jpg.d1202e9f463490bb1477e1a238f7a58b.jpg

Now you could either use the Pads with MIDI Channel 10 oder the Keys with MIDI Channel 1 as input to your instruments.

That's exactly what I've done and it makes sense, but in the channel strip instrument assignment I somehow need to limit the midi channel to... say 10.  Probably something really simple that I'm missing???

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody.  The solution was fairly easy.  Just had to create a mapping with the specific keyboard pads and channel 10. You can do this at the folder level or patch level.  The only caution is that you need to be aware of the mapping as it overrides the concert level settings.  I can imagine, the more devices you use for live with Mainstage, the more complex it could be.  Remembering what custom mappings you created if you switch midi controllers, can be challenging.