Logic Pro 10.7.4 Smart control MIDI CC not recording

cc2284
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Hi,

I’ve updated to Logic 10.7.4 and have smart controls mapped to MIDI knobs/faders. The smart controls work fine when I adjust the MIDI knobs while playing. However, when I record the smart control movements are not getting recorded from my moves on the MIDI faders. I can record smart control movements by moving the mouse but not when moving the MIDI faders. When I try to record the CC messages you can see that the new region glitches and disappears after the recording. When I delete all smart control  assignments the same CC messages record just fine. As soon as I assign them to any smart controls it is not possible to record them. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Clemens

As @ravez is hinting, you need to "record" these moving knobs as automation, by setting your track in "Touch" or "Latch" mode, start playback and move your midi faders.  Since midi events used for assignments never reach Logics sequencer you can't record those as midi events.

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

Yes and thank you for your help. I‘ll try to write automation with touch/latch mode during playback. Before updating I could just hit record and record all midi CC messages (assigned to smart controls) in read mode. A new midi region was created with all CC messages. Now when I move the knobs and hit record I can see the newly created midi region blinking and disappearing after the recording is stopped? I could definitely do that before updating and thought it was a bug?

7 minutes ago, cc2284 said:

Before updating I could just hit record and record all midi CC messages (assigned to smart controls) in read mode.

You must be misremembering? Logic never worked like that, this behavior hasn't changed. If a MIDI CC message is assigned to a control in Logic (such as a Smart Control knob), then the MIDI data is hijacked at Logic's input and you cannot record the MIDI data - only the automation using one of the automation record mode (Touch or Latch). 

8 minutes ago, cc2284 said:

I could definitely do that before updating and thought it was a bug?

What Logic version did you update from?

8 minutes ago, cc2284 said:

Now when I move the knobs and hit record I can see the newly created midi region blinking and disappearing after the recording is stopped?

Yes, that's the expected behavior. 

David, thank you so much for making that clear. I worked on Mojave on a Mac Pro 5;1. with the latest supported Logic version. Migrating to a Mac mini with all my libraries was way more time consuming than I thought. And yes it seems that I misremembered that. I‘m happy that it‘s the normal behavior. So to sum it up:

In automation read mode without smart controls it’s possible to record all midi CC messages. A new midi region is created with the cc data.

it doesn’t work when the same faders/knobs are assigned to smart controls.

That means I would have to set the automation to touch/latch during playback. What I do remember is that it definitely created a region. It didn‘t write a track automation. Do you think that I have to set it to region based automation before playback? 

• Like 1

• Solution
16 minutes ago, cc2284 said:

What I do remember is that it definitely created a region.

In that case you had "Record Automation with MIDI regions" active and did a regular MIDI recording (no Touch/Write/Latch). Logic doesn't (and never did) create new MIDI regions when writing Region automation  via Touch/Write/Latch. image.png.9fa3992c07879ea3549d0fbedacffda5.png

• Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, polanoid said:

In that case you had "Record Automation with MIDI regions" active and did a regular MIDI recording (no Touch/Write/Latch). Logic doesn't (and never did) create new MIDI regions when writing Region automation  via Touch/Write/Latch. image.png.9fa3992c07879ea3549d0fbedacffda5.png

This was exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cc2284 said:

Just to clear things up, in automation read mode AND "Record Automation with MIDI regions" enabled, it is possible to record (press record button) MIDI CC messages even with the CCs assigned to smart controls as a MIDI region. 

You're actually recording Automation, not MIDI CC messages. 

Only you're recording that automation by pressing Record instead of using one of the automation recording modes (Touch or Latch). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

You're actually recording Automation, not MIDI CC messages. 

Only you're recording that automation by pressing Record instead of using one of the automation recording modes (Touch or Latch). 

You are right. Absolutely. I‘m very happy everything’s working now. I think it‘s so much easier to write automation that way. Touch/latch is not great if you want region based automation in my opinion.

• Like 2

Honestly I prefer TBA (Track Based Automation), in Latch mode and without the  "Record Automation with MIDI regions" check.

Cause i never have to change mode and i can always record my notes and automations at the same time, plus i can just press play again to overwrite the portion of automation i am not happy with.

Also i can see the curves being recorded and/or updated in realtime, which is really nice. 

To me this is the best workflow i have found so far.

Also you can view/edit TBA in the midi editor, not only in the arrangement.

But i love exposing all my automation lanes in the arrangement view while i am recording/editing, so i can see expression, dynamics, vibrato and what have you while performing/editing.

Edited by ravez
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just want to say thanks for this thread- I have been tearing my hair out with VSL Synchron Player and automation. This thread has the answer!!🙏  And with Synchron Player you have to add a Smart Control to make the link between the external midi controller and the automation. But it works as this thread says by hitting the big record button and having the 'Record Automation With Midi Regions" option on.

Logic Pro Help is such a wonderful resource.

Logic Pro Help Rules 🙂

Edited by pinki

50 minutes ago, pinki said:

Just want to say thanks for this thread- I have been tearing my hair out with VSL Synchron Player and automation. This thread has the answer!!🙏  And with Synchron Player you have to add a Smart Control to make the link between the external midi controller and the automation. But it works as this thread says by hitting the big record button and having the 'Record Automation With Midi Regions" option on.

Logic Pro Help is such a wonderful resource.

Logic Pro Help Rules 🙂

Although it‘s been a while, I can second that. Really a wonderful place. Helped me out a lot of times. And yes, that particular option is hidden and not described very well in the manual. In my case, I control analog vintage  synths via MIDI and a plugin in Logic. And the automations are controlled with smart controls. Reading, writing, recording works great this way.

• Like 1