Looking for a group or thread on releases using only Logic Pro stock sounds.

jpeek345

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else over the years had any curiosity as to pro releases using only native/stock Logic Pro sounds?

Any genre will do...beats, singer-songwriter, pop, rock.

Interested in how the stock sound was produced.

Not many YouTube videos featuring songs that used Logic Pro stock sounds just demo-stage, partial songs or pre-release beats.

This will help further the software-versus-hardware-proprietary-elephant-in-the-room conversation.

Thanks.

jpeek345

• Like 1

I'm not sure if we had such a thread (although we've discussed this topic before, but it may be challenging to find due to the lack of specific keywords). 

The truth is, producers have no interest in limiting themselves to only Logic Pro when they can use other plug-ins they may enjoy, find creative, or that help them dial in the sound they want faster, so I don't think many producers would limit themselves to using only Logic Pro instruments and no other plug-ins, software, or hardware whatsoever for their production. 

On the other hand, Apple has an interest in demoing what can be done with only Logic Pro - although that doesn't mean no other hardware or software whatsoever was used in the production of those tracks (for example, vocals may have been recorded through a mic preamp or hardware compressor, some 3rd party instruments may have been bounced to audio...), but here's a thread that lists all the artists that provided demo songs for various Logic Pro releases: 

Also I have personally asked professional artists to share Logic Pro tracks with me to use as support for exercises in my book (you'll find a couple of YouTube videos of Darude and Distant Cousins songs in that link). But here again, full disclosure, even though the artists were able to bounce things in a way that they provided a multi-track session that requires only Logic Pro instruments to be played back, that doesn't mean that in the original they didn't use 3rd party plug-ins or external soft or hardware instruments. 

Here's a twitch session where Darude @darudevil is remixing his song "Moments" to share it with me so that I can use it in my book for the Pitch & Time lesson, and now the Dolby Atmos mixing lesson, where you can see how he recreates some of the content in order to use Logic-only gear. In the end you realize that while different tools may require different workflows or settings or decision-making, one can get results that are comparable, if not the same. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/628310652

• Like 1

David,

I appreciate your response.

It is thoughtful, cogent, relevant...and from a personal account in todays world of AI generated news articles.

However I am speaking from a population respectively and a manufacturers attitude towards songwriting in a DAW in its entirety.

Buy Logic Pro music software.

'It's the most comprehensive for all genres of music'. (I agree)

'With BOTH Apple support and logicprohelp.com...for $200 smackers... it's the best value of any DAW on the market'. (I agree)

It can only be exclusive on Apple machines.

'Okay, I guess I can pass the hat amongst my friends for a 3-4 year old refurbished Mac on EBay for $800'.

Done.

So now we are at $1000+

This was in 2017.

Today the beat market is exploding.

Sampling is both fun and hard.

It's sophisticated... and younger producers are emerging and knocking established producers out after just 2 hits.

Hence the addition of the Live Loops and the galvanization of Quick sampler.

This past years Superbowl halftime expose was all hip hop because of ROC Nation (Jay-Z) striking pivotal deals with the NBA and NFL.

Rappers Delight was put out in 1979 after all.

Guess who made an appearance at half-time?

Dr. Dre aka 'Beats by Dre' aka deals with Jimmy Iovine and Tim Cook for $3 B?

(Correct me. I may be off on my B's but B's nonetheless.)

Today we are seeing more cases of autism emerge in exponential fashion as the word 'autism' itself sponsored the term 'spectrum'.

Roughly, a new term for persons with 'invisible disabilities'.

Guess how many of the most gifted of your Apples Logic Pro music software share some common ground with people in the spectrum?

(Hell Billie Eilish is out about having Tourettes Syndrome.)

Now cross that with populations that traditionally don't come from money.

Now factor that in with a post-Covid economy.

I don't come from a hip hop background.

I come from a 70s singer-songwriter background.

Then a New Order, Art of Noise, XTC and (former House Martins) Fat Boy Slim programming sort of background.

Lastly, I've lived under the poverty line my entire life and with it a benefits paper that I garnered in 2004 for depression. When I shelled out the money for my Apple equipment because my younger millennial buddy who befriended me had all Mac- I made a sudden decision and nearly bought Ableton.

I'm glad I kept Apple.

My point is that I....we should all be able to purchase a DAW + one of the most sophisticated physical portable computers in the world and with time, talent and devotion be able to release resonant, relevant, and remarkable "outta the bedroom" releases...this was the industry pump...the push in the past decade...wasn't it?

Are we all doing this as a hobby?

C'mon?

We want escape from a post-covid economy.

We want to be EMPLOYED with our blood, sweat and tears.

Instead what we have are concessions of "buy more VSTs" or minimizing the obvious that the human voice in the recording arts is actually the definition of a song itself.

In order to satisfy the definition of a "song" you have to mention the human voice.

Otherwise we're limited to your "tune" or your "creation".

Pretty unspecific.

So of course we need some hardware to bring the human voice in but we all know that there is very little we are not "virtualizing" when considering the total of instruments made by man in history.

It's pretty depressing to think that one cannot...with just a laptop and it's native hardware alone get that professional mix.

"No you can't."

What you're going to do is put music out as a hobby with just a laptop and it's native software or be relegated to be absorbed into a subsidary of a subsidary of a decades old record label that holds all the expensive sounding hardware in their studios with.... of all people, Apple, Spotify and YouTube music driving the profit from the industry while effectively ignoring this one glaring lie.

I'm not aiming at you David.

You're a regular Craig Anderton.

If this post stays up and isn't taken down, I'm aiming squarely at the top of the pyramid in Apple.

They have the resources and they can... for instance release a Logic Pro DAW and supercomputer subscription as a DaaS or .....they love their self-enclosed boxes at the top... release Logic Pro on a machine for Logic Pro only or just stop with the distortions that a Mac and a copy of Logic Pro alone will mix like the wealthy's toys.

Since when was anyone interested in the cry of a wealthy person on tape?

Sincerely,

jpeek345

P.S. At a nominal cost Apple could sponsor a "Made With Logic Pro" contest with officials ensuring it is ALL ITB.

Like Andrew Schepps ITB

Can you imagine what that could do for their sales?

Sincerely,

P.S.S. 

I mean c'mon.

Apple doesn't want their software in on any variation of either the science or the community??

-not Tim Cook

Edited by jpeek345

12 hours ago, jpeek345 said:

It's pretty depressing to think that one cannot...with just a laptop and it's native hardware alone get that professional mix.

"No you can't."

No one has said that. Make what you want, with whatever tools you choose. The tools are only a means. No one cares what paintbrushes Picasso used, they just love the art he made. The art part is down to you.

I'm not really sure how much money Apple has is that relevant to one's songwriting or productions - unless you want to write a song about it... ;)

Edited by des99

I'm sure a great 3* chef could make an epic professional 3* gastronomic meal using only yellow ingredients from appetizers to dessert and including drinks. 

But most chefs have probably never wanted to try that and thus use other ingredients to cook with, so if you're looking for a list of professional gastronomic meals that use only yellow ingredients, you probably won't find any. 

Doesn't mean it can't be done. 

When I've asked professional mixing engineers to remix their tracks for me this time using only Logic plug-ins, most of them had no problems doing it and one would have been hard pressed to hear the difference between the original and the Logic-only mix. It's just that sometimes you reach for a 3rd party EQ or compressor because you like how it's easy to dial in or maybe it's limiting your choices which makes it quicker to dial a sound. 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I'm sure a great 3* chef could make an epic professional 3* gastronomic meal using only yellow ingredients from appetizers to dessert and including drinks. 

But most chefs have probably never wanted to try that and thus use other ingredients to cook with, so if you're looking for a list of professional gastronomic meals that use only yellow ingredients, you probably won't find any. 

Doesn't mean it can't be done. 

When I've asked professional mixing engineers to remix their tracks for me this time using only Logic plug-ins, most of them had no problems doing it and one would have been hard pressed to hear the difference between the original and the Logic-only mix. It's just that sometimes you reach for a 3rd party EQ or compressor because you like how it's easy to dial in or maybe it's limiting your choices which makes it quicker to dial a sound. 

David,

I appreciate you taking the time to draw sentiment from my all-over-the-map reply.

I hope to illuminate the populations that Apple and Apples Logic Pro may serve and among a handful of things implied in my response, advocate for the perhaps parentless...beginners saga of "aching for this thing" and breaking on through to the other side of organic-songwriter-meets-digital-world.

Maybe a crowdfunding junta with the sole intention of sponsoring the right ingredients to a 99% ITB Logic Pro yearly contest similar to oh say the story of Red Bulls Battle of the Beatmakers in Toronto would be good for the people. A 'genreless' ITB Logic Pro contest.

However I'm thinking of starting a cognitive behavior health prison and projects program with beats as its basis myself and hope someone else may comment about such an entity that exists or elevate the contest idea above to a higher visibility.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

jpeek345

P.S. I found the part where Durand on Twitch auto-sampled a sound design element. I've always wondered about native Logic Pro tools that ask for your time over immediate gratification but then surmount the arranging or musicality obstacles of home producing versus industry producing.

Edited by jpeek345