Using the Roland RPU-3 in Logic

Pipeorgan
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I am new to Logic and would like to use the Roland RPU-3 to control output volume and shifting the track I am focussed on when playing instruments using my Roland FP-60X keyboard. I am using the sustain pedal without problems but how do I configure the other 2 pedals?

Thanks, yes I have and I will try tomorrow try to get centre pedal to control the volume. However I cannot, at the moment, see any way to control which instrument track is linked to the keyboard. I do not need the sustain function when playing my organ samples so ideally I would like the L and R pedals to step through the  Logic instrument tracks, say L goes up and R goes down. This way I could change the  organ stop combination without using a mouse.

Without doing anything, the pedals will send whatever MIDI data they are programmed to send to the currently selected instrument track you are playing.

If you want the pedals to (always) toggle through the tracks as described, you can use controller assignments to learn each pedal to the "Select Next Track" and "Select Previous Track" key commands.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, des99 said:

If you want the pedals to (always) toggle through the tracks as described, you can use controller assignments to learn each pedal to the "Select Next Track" and "Select Previous Track" key commands.

An easy way to assign your pedals this way is: 

1. Choose Logic Pro > Key Commands > Edit,
  2. Search for and select "Select Next Track",
  3. Click Learn New Assignment,
  4. Press the pedal. 

Repeat with the other pedal for Select Previous Track.

Still struggling on this I’m afraid.

I can assign the Left and Right pedals to ‘Select Next Track” and Select Previous Track” respectively,  but when I depress either Pedal the selected track does not change. However the tracks change if I depress either the up or down arrows on the keyboard.

The L and Right Pedals do however change the “Record Enable Button” on the selected Track Header to change to red, but only if the letter R, on the button, was previously red!

• Like 1

• Solution

I think that when you press the pedal and release it, it kind of undo its action. 

Try the following;

• In the key command assignment window, have the "Select Next Track" command selected. 
  • click on this Learn New Assignment button to have it lit up, which indicates that it has turned into learning mode (avoid touching to anything)

image.thumb.jpeg.5236693830ef28363071997c3e5bcc70.jpeg

• Depress the desired pedal and maintain it depressed;
  • Click again on the Learn New Assignment button to ensure it has returned to its unlit status (unless it has already done so automatically), iow returned to its default non learning mode;
  • only once the learn mode is off, then release the pedal.
Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 8:55 PM, David Nahmani said:

Is the key focus on the Tracks area?

Sorry I did not fully understand your question as I am new to this. Yes I am in key focus, there is a blue line around the tracks area.

If I touch the dark area of a track header with the mouse it turns light grey and the letter R in the record enable button turns from white to red.

If I then press the down arrow on the keyboard the next track below turns from dark grey to light grey and the letters R turns from white to red. The previous track turns dark grey and the letter R in that track header turns from red to white.

The above enables me to change instruments when I am playing the keyboard, but is obviously a pain when playing the keyboard.

With no assignments set if I press either my Right or Left pedal then nothing appears to change in the track area if all the R letter are white. However if a letter R is red then if I press either the Left or Right pedal the button turns red.

If I then make assignments as you suggested for the Left and Right pedals, when in key focus there is no change to the function of the pedals. They both act as if there was no assignments, but I can still change to  the Next or Previous tracks by using the up and down arrows.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

I think that when you press the pedal and release it, it kind of undo its action. 

Try the following;

• In the key command assignment window, have the "Select Next Track" command selected. 
  • click on this Learn New Assignment button to have it lit up, which indicates that it has turned into learning mode (avoid touching to anything)

image.thumb.jpeg.5236693830ef28363071997c3e5bcc70.jpeg

• Depress the desired pedal and maintain it depressed;
  • Click again on the Learn New Assignment button to ensure it has returned to its unlit status (unless it has already done so automatically), iow returned to its default non learning mode;
  • only once the learn mode is off, then release the pedal.

Brilliant, many thanks to you all for sorting this out. It will make so much difference to what I can do with Logic Pro and my organ samples. 

You're welcome, that's what this forum is here for, for learning! 😀

And yes key focus means the blue halo around the area that is "listening" to key commands. You can give an area key focus by clicking its background or by using the Tab (or Shift-Tab) key commands to cycle forward (or backward) through different open areas. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1