Anyone Using Splice Desktop App?

Hello,

I am confused about one thing after corresponding with Splice support.

If one has an OS (mojave) and Splice Desktop app version that work together well, will this work indefinitely?

I ask them this question, any they keep answering that "our splice app works well on Mojave and up" , and at the same time they say 

"we only support the most current Os and the one before that"

Anyone have experience running Splice desktop on Mojave (or any other OS or that matter) for a bug less, prolonged period of time?

• 2 weeks later...

I used it on macOS High Sierra up until March of this year (2022) and it seemed to work as expected.

Two things I’d keep in mind is, one, by nature of the app, you’re going to have to be online to use it. You asking if this will work “indefinitely“ makes me think you’re planning some type of “frozen in time” computer setup?

If so, I believe being offline is a key concept for trying to have a machine “frozen in time” with an old OS, old apps, etc. for stability/compatibility/etc.

Two, I’ve noticed a trend of forced updating for apps that “call home” online. It’s mostly with these “software portal” apps like Waves Central.

They’ll basically either auto update without any user input, or I think it’s IK Multimedia’s that tell you to update and not allow you to use the app until you do.

There’s always the chance Splice could  implement something like this if they don’t already do so.

Edited by RobertAnthony
Typos
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

hey.. thanks for the answer!

most of what you said went way over my head... lol..  well kinda 🙂   you're very smart.

i should have asked my question different - very simply

on their own site, Splice say that each new client of theirs is not guaranteed at ALL to work with the same OS  that the previous client version worked with.

My problem is that I can't upgrade my OS X, or to other Mac OSs etc every time Splice updates their client.

For stability , Logic reasons, etc doesn't matter why, I can't.  

I guess by frozen in time, what I mean , at least is, is it not possible for me to simply BACK UP the application file of the Splice desktop that works, and then , if all else fails, simply go back to that when a new , problematic splice version comes out?  and that way, not be forced to upgrade my mac OS?

or.. even better

simply disable the feature (hoping i can find it) of splice that automatically upgrades their desktop app?

i kept emailing and asking them this, and never got a lucid response if you can believe that...

and btw, using their website instead of , or in addition to the app isn't an option either

thanks!

32 minutes ago, RoyFan said:

is it not possible for me to simply BACK UP the application file of the Splice desktop that works, and then , if all else fails, simply go back to that when a new , problematic splice version comes out?  and that way, not be forced to upgrade my mac OS?

if you can’t update macOS, by choice or otherwise, you’re eventually going to get left behind in terms of software compatibility.

If a company doesn’t give you an option to perpetually use an older version of their software (by way of forced updates), then that’s the answer to the question. You can’t use their older software.

or.. even better

simply disable the feature (hoping i can find it) of splice that automatically upgrades their desktop app?

I mean, the quickest and easiest way to find out is try it and see what happens. Download the installer and see if theres any way to turn off automatic updates.

keeping in mind that tomorrow or a year from now you may open the app and be greeted with a message saying “Please update to the latest version to continue using this software.”

i kept emailing and asking them this, and never got a lucid response if you can believe that...

I 100% believe it, because they don’t want to tell you something will work when it won’t, or even if it may work they don’t want to be supporting every edge case for dozens or hundreds of customers. The support person is probably thinking “I wish this person would take the hint” lol.

So I’m not really a fan of saying one thing publicly, then saying another thing privately in DMs. This will be my last post on this Topic.

First, sorry if you feel I’m belittling, talking down to, or trying to make you seem unintelligent. That’s not my intention. My intention is to provide my input and try to be helpful.

But at this point you’ve asked the same question(s) two or three times if we count the DM.

I’m not going to tell you it will work. Splice support apparently will not tell you it will work either, which is very smart on their part. I get you probably want someone to tell you it will work but there’s no way of knowing if it will work, or for how long.

It would be a disservice for me to definitively say it will and always work, and it would be a possible liability for Splice support to tell you it will work because you’d be paying them for a service.

Should it theoretically work? Yeah, you should be able to work in a sandbox and use old software on old hardware running an old OS for as long as you want, but that’s not how the real world works. Especially now with perpetually internet connected software and subscriptions, etc., etc..

Software breaks. Software breaks even faster if you introduce variables into the environment, such as an active internet connection (which is as varying as you can get, the internet can change in realtime).

My final input is it should theoretically work but I personally wouldn't bet on it being a longterm solution.

the whole reason for this topic to begin with is the collateral damage to logic and other things created OS updates in MAc..

otherwise i'd have no trouble periodically updating/upgrading...

I've never those issues with windows,  why are Mac Users so content with the lack of stability and time wasted after upgrades?

why is the OS conceived so badly as opposed to Windowd and has these issues?  just look at mac forums and the volumes of problems and unsolved problems as opposed to windows..

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 10:29 PM, RoyFan said:

the whole reason for this topic to begin with is the collateral damage to logic and other things created OS updates in MAc..

otherwise i'd have no trouble periodically updating/upgrading...

I've never those issues with windows,  why are Mac Users so content with the lack of stability and time wasted after upgrades?

why is the OS conceived so badly as opposed to Windowd and has these issues?  just look at mac forums and the volumes of problems and unsolved problems as opposed to windows..

I think most people here would contend that your viewpoint is the opposite of their experience. But feel free to vent away…