Recording a Live Performance into Live Loops and Tracks area at the same time

Jordatory

Hello,

So, I am wanting to record a live performance into the Live Loops Cells, and also the tracks area, simultaneously. Is this possible?

I used to use a physical looping pedal and could record it Logic at the same time. But, I am hoping that I don't have to buy a physical pedal again; so being able to record into both Cells and Tracks would be everything I need.

If there is no option (which would suck if there isn't because it would be so damn useful) what would be an alternative?

thanks

As far as I know that's not possible, and Logic can't really be substituted for a looper pedal, as you can't record new "layers" of audio without first setting up the tracks for all the layers you're going to want to record. 

I'm afraid the best alternative is still to use either a physical looper pedal, or some plug-in. See: 

48 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

As far as I know that's not possible, and Logic can't really be substituted for a looper pedal, as you can't record new "layers" of audio without first setting up the tracks for all the layers you're going to want to record. 

I'm afraid the best alternative is still to use either a physical looper pedal, or some plug-in. See: 

Damn, what a shame! But, im glad to know that there are alternatives to using a physical looper. Thanks a lot for the reply and recommendation :)

• Like 1

After spending at least 12 hours trying to find a solution; I have finally came across a very reliable Looping setup! It's definitely not as easy/ good as a physical setup, but can still work very well (especially with overlays etc.). So, this workaround was able to be done in Mainstage! 
I will try and create a video for it and upload it here when im done; maybe someone can find it useful :)

Agreed this is frustrating - when Logic has something called Live Loops that can't be used for live looping. It's a glaring omission in my opinion, especially when MainStage has the LoopBack plugin - also v frustrating that this is not available in Logic Pro. See this feature request:

To be honest Loopback is itself under-featured compared to 3rd party offerings and the Looper in Ableton (which actually works like a loop pedal for live looping) so Apple have some pretty obvious gaps to fill here!

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 4:25 AM, Dox said:

Hi Jordatory,

I for one would like to see your Mainstage solution video.

Hey mate, I was going to make a video on how I set it up, but I am still not satisfied with my results. I did get it work though, but Mainstage's looper is just bad! xD
I should mention that I am looking to do an ambient guitar style live looping setup.

There are many ways to do live looping (via Ableton, or physical setup, or Mainstages noob ways), just depends on what you are looking for. 

Anyway, I found this tutorial and just changed a few things to make it work for guitar: 

Good luck, and let me know if you get lost/ need help and I'll do what I can! 
I actually began setting my own loop pedalboard in Mainstage from scratch, but it is a lot of work and it's super unintuitive. 

All the best :)

12 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Thanks for the link. Based on recommendations from a variety of forums I have tried out MSuperLooper and Audio Damage Enso - both paid for plugins but both have trials. I gave both a bit of time and there are some interesting creative options, but both are super unintuitive to the point of frustration - so many choices need to be made for them to function as if they were a loop pedal, and even then.... Any other experiences shared would be great!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, thirdspace said:

Thanks for the link. Based on recommendations from a variety of forums I have tried out MSuperLooper and Audio Damage Enso - both paid for plugins but both have trials. I gave both a bit of time and there are some interesting creative options, but both are super unintuitive to the point of frustration - so many choices need to be made for them to function as if they were a loop pedal, and even then.... Any other experiences shared would be great!

I really appreciate your comment. I came from using a Boomerang Looper (which cost now over $500), so spending $100 or whatever on a solid software looper is very reasonable for me.

I did watch quite a few tutorials on both loopers you recommended; and tbh, I love the look of the Enso, but the MSuperLooper is just so good and simple in comparison! It's actually the closes Software Looper I have found in comparison to the Boomerang.

I will give it a trial tonight and see how I go with it :)

Thanks again for your response, super helpful!

Just leaving an update here incase anyone is viewing this thread:

I decided to give MSuperLooper a try. It does have some cool features and the layout is awesomely simple! The problem is the community is quite small so finding workarounds/ receiving help for the software is difficult. 
I also couldn't figure out how to record into loops and have my DAW record the loops while I am playing it live; it may be a feature that exists but as @thirdspacementioned "it is just super unintuitive".
Not just that it is unintuitive; it also costs over $100, which you could easily pay for Abletons basic package which should do even better as a loop station. 

Anyway, I will now be sending Apple a feature request, and I really hope they listen because a lot of people are definitely interested in this!

If you have time, do the same so that they can see more people are interested in Live Looping/ recording.

:)

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 5:44 PM, Jordatory said:

pay for Abletons basic package which should do even better as a loop station

is the route I have taken. Maybe not surprisingly Ableton's Looper is way more suited to live looping than any 3rd party plug-in I have found so far. If Apple get round to adding a looper to Logic Pro I hope they take a look at this one rather than port Loopback from MainStage.

In case it's useful - audio connections back and forth from Logic Pro or MainStage to Ableton handled by Blackhole, and MIDI commands from my footpedal happily received by both apps simultaneously regardless of which one is at the front (which was a concern I had having read some forums).

Ableton do a 90 day trial in case this is an option you want to explore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thirdspace said:

is the route I have taken. Maybe not surprisingly Ableton's Looper is way more suited to live looping than any 3rd party plug-in I have found so far. If Apple get round to adding a looper to Logic Pro I hope they take a look at this one rather than port Loopback from MainStage.

In case it's useful - audio connections back and forth from Logic Pro or MainStage to Ableton handled by Blackhole, and MIDI commands from my footpedal happily received by both apps simultaneously regardless of which one is at the front (which was a concern I had having read some forums).

Ableton do a 90 day trial in case this is an option you want to explore.

Really appreciate your reply, it's good to know that Ableton was your end choice as well xD
If Apple just ports loopback, then they are simply lazy and don't really care about live looping.

The Blackhole idea is very interesting. It definitely seems like a lot of work + some more invested money though, but its great to know that it is an option!

Yeah, I think I will just try out Ableton and see how I go... or I may just invest in a physical setup again :D

Thanks for sharing, enjoy your day :)

Edit: I didn't realise until now that Blackhole is a free software, that's definitely awesome!

Edited by Jordatory