Logic 10.7.4 + M1 16 GB Monterey 12.5.1 = Crashing So often!

ozkanozmen

After upgrading to 16GB M1 mac Mini Monterey 12.5.1 used in Rosetta mode,

4 high performance cores selected at settings.

I have way more often freezes and crashes. The crashes I have are sudden and I dont even see the beachball.

I used a 2014 Mac Mini i7 3.40 Ghz Catalina with older Logic and frequency of crashes were far less.

Should I skip Rosetta mode? Should I select the auto core selection vs high performance?

Thank you for your reply! I don't use templates. 3 of my plugins are rosetta requiring. Scaler 2,  IK Multimedia Arc and A Stock Synth from Akai.(Hybrid it is called I guess).

Ps: Before enabling Rosetta mode, I used a Terminal command, that forces to validate plugins, because  auva tool would not validate them. So they validated without needing to be in Rosetta mode. This is how I did it. See the youtube video below , it is hard to explain. Yeah, I paid 8 bugs for this. Could this terminal command be the reason? Or skip Rosetta mode? I am confused.

14 minutes ago, ozkanozmen said:

Thank you for your reply. I will revert back then. Boy, is she sentitive  :)

You cannot revert an M1 Mac mini to anything older than Big Sur. 

The way to go is to make a list of ALL your vital plug-ins and check for compatibility with Monterey/Apple Silicon. It's fine if things are only compatible via Rosetta. People are giving that WAY too much thought. 

BUT: stuff needs to be explicitly compatible, and you need to be running those versions. 

Virtually everything has been updated or certified by now — notable exceptions being some AIR Music stuff, and some Waldorf stuff. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, analogika said:

Forcing Logic to validate plugins that fail validation is an absolutely surefire path to crashing and an unstable system. 

Maybe, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it was as easy as it used to be on/off.  I find Logic is too heavy handed on rejecting plugins that work perfectly fine otherwise and in other DAW's as well.

Edited by xgman

11 minutes ago, xgman said:

I find Logic is too heavy handed on rejecting plugins that work perfectly fine otherwise and in other DAW's as well.

The point of validation is to define and enforce a minimum standard to which plugin developers can develop against.

If plugins aren't validating because a developer can't be bothered to make their plugins validate successfully, that doesn't inspire much confidence in those developers - especially for commercial products in the AU format for Mac, not passing validation in the platform vendor's own flagship DAW on that platform.

Similarly, if the plugins are too old and thus aren't compliant with the current validation standards, they *might* work OK some, or all of the time, they might not. At least Logic *will* let you run them if you choose too (after it complains), but given the unpredictability in plugins crashing hosts in the early days, implementing such a minimum standard seems like a worthwhile idea to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xgman said:

Maybe, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it was as easy as it used to be on/off.  I find Logic is too heavy handed on rejecting plugins that work perfectly fine otherwise and in other DAW's as well.

I'd always err on the side of not crashing a production. Enough potential for things to go wrong in the studio as it is. 🙂

On 8/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, ozkanozmen said:

Thank you for your reply! I don't use templates. 3 of my plugins are rosetta requiring. Scaler 2,  IK Multimedia Arc and A Stock Synth from Akai.(Hybrid it is called I guess).

The lastest version of Scaler 2 -- 2.6 I think --  is Apple Silicon ready, so if you update/upgrade it you won't need Rosetta for that plug at least.

Didn't read the whole thread just wanted to give my 2 cents. I got better performance using all 8 cores and honestly. This Mac is insane. I can load like my Newfangled elevate in 7.1.4 without overloading and had 1 crash so far. Also set the process buffer range to large. Sorry if sb already mentioned this

1 hour ago, Rambird said:

Didn't read the whole thread just wanted to give my 2 cents. I got better performance using all 8 cores and honestly. This Mac is insane. I can load like my Newfangled elevate in 7.1.4 without overloading and had 1 crash so far. Also set the process buffer range to large. Sorry if sb already mentioned this

Thank you! I used Logic in Rosetta Mode. That was the main reason of the crashes. But now it is fine.I choose 8 cores too. (4 high performence option) How about you?

Edited by ozkanozmen
Typo

• 5 months later...

Hello, I have more or less the same problem.

Have downloaded the free-trial version (10.7.5) and every time I try to edit some track (actually it happened in different times and even without editing) Logic crashes (see the attached video).

It's a Macbook Pro - Apple M1 Pro - 16gb - 10 core

I've tried to run with and without Rosetta but nothing changed. Could you please help or at least suggest me some tips?

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, ozkanozmen said:

Hi! The only thing I can suggest is: to check your 3rd party plug ins if you have. Use it in normal mode, Rosetta is more prone to crashes.

Thanks for the reply! I've already tried to check for the plug ins.. it's quite weird because I'm using all the same stuff on Ableton Live and nothing happens. Then, working on Logic, it crashes x_x

1 hour ago, bunted said:

it's quite weird because I'm using all the same stuff on Ableton Live and nothing happens. Then, working on Logic, it crashes x_x

Every DAW reacts different to 3rd party plugins. You have to troubleshoot your 3rd party stuff in Logic if you wanna find the culprit of the crashes.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:08 PM, triplets said:

Every DAW reacts different to 3rd party plugins. You have to troubleshoot your 3rd party stuff in Logic if you wanna find the culprit of the crashes.

Even if all plugins are "successfully validated" via Logic plug-in manager? Should I turn off one by one and check?

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, some plug ins crash Logic. Antares Autotune, Maschine 2, These plug ins have caused consistently crashes with me. But you know what, I have formatted my mac re-downloaded and re-installed logic. I do not have the same issues any more, at least not so far. If you decide to format, make sure to re download logic. Saving instruments on an external hard drive causes its own issues later.