WTF?? Suddenly my software instruments have changed across the project

Plastic Meanie
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

So I've been working on this project for several days, loads of Logic's own SW instruments. No problems til now. Opened it today and many of the Logic instruments, not all, have changed to different ones. Drum Kit has changed to Retro Synth, Yamaha Grand has changed to some kind of percussion sample set, so has Steel String Acoustic... and so on and on. The settings headings are still for the original patch but the instrument slots all seem to have changed to the same sampler patch or something on the whole. Third party stuff seems unaffected. 

Oddly the pedalboard seems to have lost its pedal I'd selected too. 

What just happened and how do I solve it?

18 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Unfortunately it's a known bug in Logic Pro. When you open more than 1 project at a time, the instruments and patches used by a project get messed up. 

AFAIK the only way to resolve this is to revert to an earlier backup (hopefully you have one). 

David is there a reproducible scenario for this, like, if I want to demonstrate this behaviour to others?

12 hours ago, polanoid said:

If I may add my 2 cents, there were also some Undo operations that caused symptoms like this (supposedly fixed in 10.7.4). There are even threads about that in the forum, will have to dig them out.

This was one of them, don't know in what version it was fixed... If the OP is still on 10.7.1 the bug might still be there ? 

Undo unpack to new tracks corrupts project

2 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Ah I just saw you did some additional analysis on that bug in that thread. I just tried in 10.7.1, this one "Undoing Open Movie (and extract the audio track) also causes this bug to appear" is definitely reproducible in 10.7.1. Will check with 10.7.4 now.

...aaaand it's still there in 10.7.4! Time for a report to Apple I guess...

Well, it's the three mentioned in that thread, but sure;  

Undo "Unpack to New Tracks" (Audio Take Folder, supposedly fixed in 10.7.x ?)

Undo audio recording when using the "Create New Track" option

Undo "Open Movie" when extracting the audio track

Edited by JakobP

6 minutes ago, JakobP said:

Well, it's the three mentioned in that thread, but sure;  

Undo "Unpack to New Tracks" (Audio Take Folder, supposedly fixed in 10.7.x ?)

Undo audio recording when using the "Create New Track" option

Undo "Open Movie" when extracting the audio track

Ah OK you sounded like there were even more of these ;)

This leaves one remaining (Undo "Open Movie" when extracting the audio track), the other two are obviously fixed in 10.7.4 (I guess I can say for sure as the issue is very easily visible once it happens).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, polanoid said:

@Plastic Meanie, did you do anything like that?

No. But as David suggested I had briefly opened a second project without closing the first. Amazing how serious bugs like this get through testing. I'm still on 10.7.1, do we think the opening second project bug might have gone in the latest version?

Edited by Plastic Meanie