Cannot get to top level of library

edurbrow
Go to solution Solved by edurbrow,

I know I asked about this before and learned I could scroll to the left to get to a higher level, but I can't see a way to get to the "top" or normal level of the library. I just want to understand this. I know I can search for flute, if that is what I want, but I don't get why when I do that it doesn't take me to the orchestral folder.
469868034_ScreenShot2022-09-08at4_43_51PM.thumb.png.48d55efd0685acf412cdc1f1ecf8e50d.png      1563924462_ScreenShot2022-09-08at4_47_28PM.thumb.png.3a762fc36f9b4ac73c89880b7bf490f4.png

23 minutes ago, edurbrow said:

I know I can search for flute, if that is what I want, but I don't get why when I do that it doesn't take me to the orchestral folder.

When you search for "flute" in a given context, the library filter shows you all items that match your search term. It's not going to take you to an "Orchestral" folder, as "Orchestral" doesn't include your search term.

To move "Up" through the folder hierarchy when you haven't done a search, and are just browsing, scroll left, use the left cursor key, or drag the scroll bar left at the bottom of the library.

Remember that what you are browsing or search is context dependent, as the patch browser will show different content depending on what you're asking it to display.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, edurbrow said:

I know I can search for flute, if that is what I want, but I don't get why when I do that it doesn't take me to the orchestral folder.

If you have more than one flute in one folder, then it couldn't take you to all the folders at once. So instead, Logic displays a list of results by patch name, and you can hover a patch name to see its folder path: 

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 10.16.30 AM.png

• Like 1

On your screenshots, you're actually at the top level already. Only, it's the top level when pointing the Library to an aux track (or aux channel strip). To find flute instruments, you'll have to create a software instrument track and do the search from the software instrument top level instead. Hth...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JakobP said:

On your screenshots, you're actually at the top level already. Only, it's the top level when pointing the Library to an aux track (or aux channel strip). To find flute instruments, you'll have to create a software instrument track and do the search from the software instrument top level instead. Hth...

And if you are actually not on the top level already, click on the folder names at the bottom, above the Revert button, to move one or more levels up or directly to the top:

image.png.1960669ade632bc8f61cca4cce9871f0.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, edurbrow said:

I can't see a way to get to the "top" or normal level of the library. I just want to understand this. I know I can search for flute, if that is what I want, but I don't get why when I do that it doesn't take me to the orchestral folder.

Oh and if after doing a search, you'd rather see the folder hierarchy path for one of the results in the library, you can double-click that result and it will take you to the folder path: 

Library.gif

• Like 3

• Solution
On 9/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, des99 said:

When you search for "flute" in a given context, the library filter shows you all items that match your search term. It's not going to take you to an "Orchestral" folder, as "Orchestral" doesn't include your search term.

To move "Up" through the folder hierarchy when you haven't done a search, and are just browsing, scroll left, use the left cursor key, or drag the scroll bar left at the bottom of the library.

Remember that what you are browsing or search is context dependent, as the patch browser will show different content depending on what you're asking it to display.

I worded that poorly. I guess I meant that I didn't end up at the usual place with lots of flutes, some of which would be in the orchestral folder. Even with your answers, I have a hard time figuring out what happened. How could I end up at the top level of an Aux track? How can you tell it is an Aux track from the screen shot? How would I get out of there and to the usual top level?

I think that perhaps my computer was overloaded and it was "just one of those nights". I had two other orchestral scores open behind the file I was working on. I thought Logic would only allocate memory to the top document, but maybe I am wrong? I am going to knuckle down and force myself to watch some Youtube videos and see if I can gain an understanding of this Library in Logic Pro, it is still somewhat baffling.

Thank you des99, David, JakobP and polanoid for your help and sorry to take your time. Many thanks.

• Like 1