cannot hear instruments

edurbrow
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I cannot hear a bunch of instruments. I can hear my original strings, but the tracks I imported (to save time setting them up) I cannot hear. I heard them earlier, but I must have done something.

There is no activity in the channel strip when I hit play. I've soloed the flute, but no sound comes out.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 10.51.43 PM.png

Edited by edurbrow

• Solution

You're looking at a MIDI region that is on an audio track, however it needs to be on a software instrument track in order to trigger that instrument. How did you import the track?

If you don't mind choosing a new instrument then choose Track > New Software Instrument Track, choose a Flute patch from the Library and drag the MIDI region to that track. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wish the distinction between the kinds of tracks was more pronounced. For example the whole track color could be one color rather than just a bar (which you have to choose to make visible). I guess I had chosen audio tracks previously so they again came up as a default and I knee-jerk reacted.
Thank you to everybody who responded. This list is the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edurbrow said:

I wish the distinction between the kinds of tracks was more pronounced.

You could press Option-T and enable the additional name column, at least as a troubleshooting step when something like this occurs where you need to double-check the type of tracks used. Then you'll see the track type listed in black in the track headers:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.40.12 AM.png

2 hours ago, edurbrow said:

This list is the best.

Definitely agree. 😅

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You could press Option-T and enable the additional name column, at least as a troubleshooting step when something like this occurs where you need to double-check the type of tracks used. Then you'll see the track type listed in black in the track headers:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.40.12 AM.png

Definitely agree. 😅

Good tip. Will immediately start using that.

• Like 1