Control smart controls with MIDI environment fader

guitarplayr82

I have created a fader in the MIDI environment which I want to use to control a smart controls assignment. Is this possible? I am thinking I could output the MIDI data from the fader to the IAC bus, and then take that data back into Logic and "learn" a smart controls mapping with it. I am struggling to get the environment fader to output MIDI to the IAC bus though. Any ideas?

10 hours ago, guitarplayr82 said:

I have created a fader in the MIDI environment which I want to use to control a smart controls assignment. Is this possible? I am thinking I could output the MIDI data from the fader to the IAC bus, and then take that data back into Logic and "learn" a smart controls mapping with it. I am struggling to get the environment fader to output MIDI to the IAC bus though. Any ideas?

Just curious, what is the goal? 

Thank you JakobP, that worked perfectly! The goal is I want to have a "dim solo" feature available to me where I can "solo" a track but keep the rest of the mix behind it at -10db or something like that. The best way I could think to implement this is to have a function which adds a Gain plugin to the selected track (I'm using PlugSearch to do this via MIDI), and then use a fader in the environment to raise the gain in the plugin while simultaneously lowering the gain of my master bus by the same amount. Then once I'm done soloing I have to find a way to reset the master bus gain to 0db and remove the Gain plugin (still working on that part).

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

May I ask how you do that? As far as I remember you need to do some UI interaction with Logic (like hovering the mouse over the desired plug-in slot) to make PlugSearch do its thing?

If you add a plugin as a favorite in PlugSearch, you can pull it up on the selected track with a MIDI CC message. Super useful. Otherwise I believe you're correct, most other functions you would have to hover the mouse over the plugin slot.