I have removed logic projects but haven't gotten any space on my harddrive

KillianJ

13 minutes ago, KillianJ said:

I removed about a 150 GB worth of logic projects from my computer about two months ago to make room for new projects - but I still haven't gotten that space on my harddrive back! I obviously empted the trashbin. Why am I not freeing up any space? 

You should see the empty space the instant you're emptying your bin. Test it with a dummy project with a couple of test audio recording to check?

I discovered that "APFS snapshots" were taking up some space that I couldn't recover no matter how much I deleted from the OS drive.  Once I removed the snapshot, I recovered the space.  I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backup, it created the snapshots, don't know if Time Machine does something similar.

I found a terminal command to list and then remove the snapshot file, should be easy to search for that.  Make sure run full backup before tinkering with this.

Okay, thanks guys for your thoughts!

I do run Time Machine (on an external harddrive) but I started that like a week ago and I removed the projects several weeks ago so the issue is not there, but it could totally be some type of snapshot problem, I haven't looked into that yet but will now! 

Contrary to common belief deleting files does not automatically free up the space. It can very well happen that the space is freed up only some time after a Time Machine backup. This has happened to me before; it is confusing to say the least. I've actually seen the free space decrease after deleting a bunch of files. A while (not immediately!) after the next backup things sorted out and everything was fine.

(I'm still on Mojave; no idea if this changed later.)

• Like 1