Does Logic have a "next preset" hotkey?

Jordatory

8 minutes ago, grrdjf said:

Left/Right square bracket [ ] (not parentheses!) does it for me in the currently focused plugin window.

Hope this helps!

I guess that way works for some plugins built in. Im using Kontakt and massive. 

All good, ill just have to use the mouse :)

Thanks for commenting

Hi,

Kontakt can be tedious in this way. What I do is put Kontakt in Komplete Kontrol and that way you can go through the presets using the arrow keys, but those are only previews and dont actually load the preset. Not ideal but best I can come up with. I guess if you have suitable controller you can map things to achieve this. As to some of the other instruments like Absynth5 I can use arrow and return to load the preset once the far right column is populated.

54 minutes ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

Hi,

Kontakt can be tedious in this way. What I do is put Kontakt in Komplete Kontrol and that way you can go through the presets using the arrow keys, but those are only previews and dont actually load the preset. Not ideal but best I can come up with. I guess if you have suitable controller you can map things to achieve this. As to some of the other instruments like Absynth5 I can use arrow and return to load the preset once the far right column is populated.

Oh awesome. I did hear about Control the other day; but I read a lot of complaints about it being "unintuitive". 
Using the arrows to hear a sound sample may just be good enough for me. I'll look into it now :D

Thanks a lot for sharing :)

19 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

You're welcome.

Let us know how you go. KK actually is a pretty good browser once you get used to it, but Kontakt running inside of it can do some neat things, including resizing the window (one of the biggest complaints about NI products is their window sizes).

I tried it out man. It is a cool browser, but its too buggy; like, it keeps freezing/ takes a while to load certain instruments, the mouse scroll doesn't work, its crashed Logic already, and sometimes it doesn't show the instrument. 
Maybe its just the M1 chip, idno.

Edit:
Also, when using multiple channels, as soon as I switch Audio Outputs devices, it takes ages for plugins to load again. I feel like Kontrol uses much more CPU.

Edited by Jordatory

Yeah, the inability to quickly switch between presets in Kontakt in particular has long been the bane of my existence... there's pretty much no great workaround with it and no way of using the keyboard or a controller to switch presets. But as I understand it, this is an issue with how NI designed it, not the DAW. So it should behave the same in any other DAW – does FL let you change presets of Kontakt with a button? If so that's pretty neat.

That said, apparently NI is releasing Kontakt 7 next month. They haven't shared much about new features but they've mentioned a modern browser overhaul, including the ability to use tagging, filtering, and starring. So that should be neat.

I have KK myself and I don't use it much for worry about CPU load. I don't have issues with it freezing but in a big session I don't like the idea of a plugin wrapper, basically a plugin hosting another plugin... seems like a waste of CPU, but I'd be curious if my concerns are valid or not.

I love the NI Kontrol keyboards but I really wish they would open up the up/down preset buttons to be mappable outside their software. That would be rad.

Edited by wing

@Jordatory Not sure what machine you're running (it would help to put specs in your signature). Yeah KK has its quirks (tiny GUI etc) but I've never had it crash Logic on me but Im on an intel Mac. Things are pretty stable. Scroll works fine here, no extra CPU load, things load up, but one annoyance is that sometimes double clicking wont load a preset. You're probably aware that there can be a vast difference in some NI products. Depending what instrument you're using and how many other plugins and all that, as to whats going to happen.

Example, its well known Straylight and Pharlight are very resource hungry. They can easily put one of my cores near the top with just one note held down, but that depends on the preset. Even with my reasonably well specc'd Mac. There's a few other heavy hitters but for the most part I dont have to worry too much. 

Also (something Im not expert on ) there's ways to optimize how instruments run in Kontakt. KK apparently has a very small footprint. I dont notice any extra load running it as a wrapper.

As the AS transition at NI has been quite a sore point, and even if many things are now native it may take a while for things to really settle down properly. I know Reaktor and Battery4 will go native early next year completing the transition. Kontakt 7 comes with K14 around end of this month (?) and for those of us on K13 pretty sure that will be a paid upgrade. There's a lot of angst about Absynth5 gone now, so things are a bit tumultuous at NI atm.

4 hours ago, wing said:

Yeah, the inability to quickly switch between presets in Kontakt in particular has long been the bane of my existence... there's pretty much no great workaround with it and no way of using the keyboard or a controller to switch presets. But as I understand it, this is an issue with how NI designed it, not the DAW. So it should behave the same in any other DAW – does FL let you change presets of Kontakt with a button? If so that's pretty neat.

That said, apparently NI is releasing Kontakt 7 next month. They haven't shared much about new features but they've mentioned a modern browser overhaul, including the ability to use tagging, filtering, and starring. So that should be neat.

I have KK myself and I don't use it much for worry about CPU load. I don't have issues with it freezing but in a big session I don't like the idea of a plugin wrapper, basically a plugin hosting another plugin... seems like a waste of CPU, but I'd be curious if my concerns are valid or not.

I love the NI Kontrol keyboards but I really wish they would open up the up/down preset buttons to be mappable outside their software. That would be rad.

I never tried Kontakt in FL; I just assumed it would work with a square bracket (as grrdjf mentioned). But yeah, I doubt it would work in FL. Also, I am glad that I now know to use square brackets with Logic Stock Plugins, super useful!

Oh man, Im curious to see what they have changed and updated. I am actually very new to Kontakt, just bought it like a few days ago. In saying that, I can't believe Starring doesn't exist already lol Its such an incredibly useful feature!

And yeah, KK definitely took a long time to load when changing a setting in Logic, I dont think I will be using it anymore as I am trying to keep everything efficient. I just have to take a little extra time when scrolling presets.

Thanks for sharing :)

3 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

@Jordatory Not sure what machine you're running (it would help to put specs in your signature). Yeah KK has its quirks (tiny GUI etc) but I've never had it crash Logic on me but Im on an intel Mac. Things are pretty stable. Scroll works fine here, no extra CPU load, things load up, but one annoyance is that sometimes double clicking wont load a preset. You're probably aware that there can be a vast difference in some NI products. Depending what instrument you're using and how many other plugins and all that, as to whats going to happen.

Example, its well known Straylight and Pharlight are very resource hungry. They can easily put one of my cores near the top with just one note held down, but that depends on the preset. Even with my reasonably well specc'd Mac. There's a few other heavy hitters but for the most part I dont have to worry too much. 

Also (something Im not expert on ) there's ways to optimize how instruments run in Kontakt. KK apparently has a very small footprint. I dont notice any extra load running it as a wrapper.

As the AS transition at NI has been quite a sore point, and even if many things are now native it may take a while for things to really settle down properly. I know Reaktor and Battery4 will go native early next year completing the transition. Kontakt 7 comes with K14 around end of this month (?) and for those of us on K13 pretty sure that will be a paid upgrade. There's a lot of angst about Absynth5 gone now, so things are a bit tumultuous at NI atm.

Awesome, just updated my signature :)

Yeah, it may be an M1 problem. I have just reset my laptop anyway and won't be installing many expansions, so I should be fine with scrolling Kontakt only, for now.

Not sure what "AS" stands for. I just had to google Absynth because I've never used it. Looks like a cool Expansion! I can understand why they discontinued it, but I also do feel for the people who used it regularly. 

Anyway, I'll be patient and wait for Kontakt to become more stable with the M1 :)

Thanks a lot for your reply.

9 hours ago, Jordatory said:

I never tried Kontakt in FL; I just assumed it would work with a square bracket (as grrdjf mentioned). But yeah, I doubt it would work in FL. Also, I am glad that I now know to use square brackets with Logic Stock Plugins, super useful!

Oh man, Im curious to see what they have changed and updated. I am actually very new to Kontakt, just bought it like a few days ago. In saying that, I can't believe Starring doesn't exist already lol Its such an incredibly useful feature!

And yeah, KK definitely took a long time to load when changing a setting in Logic, I dont think I will be using it anymore as I am trying to keep everything efficient. I just have to take a little extra time when scrolling presets.

Thanks for sharing :)

Yeah, I can't speak for FL but I've used Kontakt inside Ableton and it's the same issue there. Yeah the browser is ancient and a lot of modern plugins have left it in the dust... For example I really like Arturia's system if you've used any of their software instruments. Really easy to star, tag, filter/search, customize etc. It's surprising how far behind NI has been with updating this aspect, given that Kontakt libraries are extremely popular.

The common workaround up to this point is using the Quickload browser. Basically you can create your own folders and drag instrument patches you like into there. It's kinda cool, but not searchable. Also to save a preset as a favorite, or if you make changes but want to save as your own, you make a "snapshot" using the camera icon... which isn't the most intuitive considering no other plugins call it that. They should just make a star or a heart icon or something.

Anyway I digress. Massive X has a pretty good browser so I'm expecting Kontakt 7 will be a big improvement. I'll be even happier if they make it so preset buttons on my controller can move up and down the list without using the KK wrapper! Or if I can use a keyboard shortcut.

FYI I'd reach out to NI support to see if you'll get a free upgrade to Kontakt 7. Companies usually offer that when you've purchased an older version so close to the release of a new one (next month). Cheers!

9 hours ago, wing said:

Yeah, I can't speak for FL but I've used Kontakt inside Ableton and it's the same issue there. Yeah the browser is ancient and a lot of modern plugins have left it in the dust... For example I really like Arturia's system if you've used any of their software instruments. Really easy to star, tag, filter/search, customize etc. It's surprising how far behind NI has been with updating this aspect, given that Kontakt libraries are extremely popular.

The common workaround up to this point is using the Quickload browser. Basically you can create your own folders and drag instrument patches you like into there. It's kinda cool, but not searchable. Also to save a preset as a favorite, or if you make changes but want to save as your own, you make a "snapshot" using the camera icon... which isn't the most intuitive considering no other plugins call it that. They should just make a star or a heart icon or something.

Anyway I digress. Massive X has a pretty good browser so I'm expecting Kontakt 7 will be a big improvement. I'll be even happier if they make it so preset buttons on my controller can move up and down the list without using the KK wrapper! Or if I can use a keyboard shortcut.

FYI I'd reach out to NI support to see if you'll get a free upgrade to Kontakt 7. Companies usually offer that when you've purchased an older version so close to the release of a new one (next month). Cheers!

Oh man, I didn't even know that Arturia had their own sounds and stuff. I only know them for their midi keyboards and Interfaces. I am so curious to try them out, but tbh, I have stopped looking at other companies because I became incredibly overwhelmed with the amount of sounds and presets that exist! I spent days filtering through many different companies that I literally had to stop because I wasn't even creating music at that point; I was just scrolling through the seemingly infinite amount of possibilities lol

I freaking hope they add a star or heart haha But, for now its okay because I narrowed my complete NI list to just using 2 expansions for now. 

Yeah, I will definitely contact them once 7 is out :D Thanks man

17 hours ago, Jordatory said:

Oh man, I didn't even know that Arturia had their own sounds and stuff. I only know them for their midi keyboards and Interfaces. I am so curious to try them out, but tbh, I have stopped looking at other companies because I became incredibly overwhelmed with the amount of sounds and presets that exist!

Oh yeah, Arturia has a whole software division and they make solid products. One half includes emulations of classic synths, and the other half are a few of their own modern synths, samplers, and effects. All mostly affordable.

I'd save you the time by saying you could pass on the classic synth emulations for the most part. A lot of people love them but IMHO they are a bit too sterile sounding, and I personally prefer other emulations out there. But the browser system is great lol.

If you're into retro organ sounds, they do have a Farfisa and Vox Continental emulation and those are both probably the best I've found.

They also have a Buchla synth plugin which is neat and as far as I know they are the only company to have been licensed to make one. Weird sound effects playground.

However to me their best software is Pigments - sampler/granular/synth/etc. It's probably my go to nowadays for a sampler-based synth, like if I want to drop in a custom sound and layer it with synth sounds etc. Very easy to use.

But I totally understand, there's so much out there you can spend all your time just looking and not making music haha!

5 hours ago, wing said:

I'd save you the time by saying you could pass on the classic synth emulations for the most part. A lot of people love them but IMHO they are a bit too sterile sounding, and I personally prefer other emulations out there. But the browser system is great lol.

If you're into retro organ sounds, they do have a Farfisa and Vox Continental emulation and those are both probably the best I've found.

Love the quick overview man! 
I do love synth type stuff, for sure. But, What I am looking for primarily is Ambient, gentle, atmospheric, lo-fi, and natural sounding instruments; also I am planning to get into creating Synthwave stuff - I love it! But, from what I have herd so far, Logics Retro Synth has some amazing sounds for that synthwave stuff. Also, although I haven't really tried it, Kontakt has Analog Dreams which I may look into. I Feel like its targeted toward more Sound Design guys; I am not interested in designing my own sound, I love good presets that I can slightly manipulate to get my own sound if needed (this might change later when I am better at producing anyway :D).

Hey guys, in Komplete Kontrol you can assign a star for favourites. What many people complain about tho is the miserly 2 or 3 lines viewable for presets when you have the other 2 windows open to choose and  filter presets. If you close those it becomes more respectable.

Not on my Mac right now but Im pretty sure ive assigned selecting presets (next or previous) in Kontakt to a controller on my very old keyboard (not USB). I'll check it out again and let you know.

Analog Dreams is really nice, especially version 2 which  has much more functionality.

Its actually not in Kontakt, but Komplete Kontrol. Pretty simple to set up.

Near the top of KK GUI, and to the right of the 4 icons click "Midi" (to toggle on and off Midi Learn options ) > click the "Buttons" tab > under the Presets section assigh a cc by enacting the controller you want to use. The cc # will replace "Learn"  if your controller /keyboard sends information from that button. I gave up on my old synth as all I could assign was 4 things, none of which you'd want to use ie Pitchbend, Mod Wheel, Sustain Pedal and Portamento.

• Love 1

On 9/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, Dynamic_Notes said:

Its actually not in Kontakt, but Komplete Kontrol. Pretty simple to set up.

Near the top of KK GUI, and to the right of the 4 icons click "Midi" (to toggle on and off Midi Learn options ) > click the "Buttons" tab > under the Presets section assigh a cc by enacting the controller you want to use. The cc # will replace "Learn"  if your controller /keyboard sends information from that button. I gave up on my old synth as all I could assign was 4 things, none of which you'd want to use ie Pitchbend, Mod Wheel, Sustain Pedal and Portamento.

Thanks a lot for this. I will refer back to it if I decide to use KK. Atm im not using it because its just too glitchy with the M1 chip (as everything with NI is). If they fix compatibility issues in the next update, then I will try it out again :D