Lock Audio File To Movie?

AllTheButtons
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

I want to move a movie file around while I'm working out what BPM to make the track. But the movie came with separate WAV files for sound effects etc. How can I lock these files to the movie, so whenever the movie moves, they move too?

At the moment I'm having to do a dance where I change the BPM, move the movie so the hit point lines up again, then move all the SFX audio files to match the movie. I'd love to remove that final step!

Is there a way of doing this?

4 minutes ago, Zipfunk said:

Did the wav not SMPTE lock when you imported the movie?

I’m not at my computer right now but I believe you right click on your wav and select Lock. A little padlock should appear on the wav. Then they’ll move in sync. 

That works when the audio file is extracted from the imported movie, but not when it's separately supplied WAV files. In that case, locking the file leaves it in position when the movie is moved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this (btw I did a search and can’t find forum rules?) but it would be really useful to know if this is possible, even if it’s just that I should stop searching! 

Alternatively I’d love to know what workarounds people use to keep separately-supplied audio in sync with video files when they are moved around the timeline. 

Edited by AllTheButtons

• Solution
2 hours ago, AllTheButtons said:

Sorry to bump this (btw I did a search and can’t find forum rules?) but it would be really useful to know if this is possible, even if it’s just that I should stop searching! 

Alternatively I’d love to know what workarounds people use to keep separately-supplied audio in sync with video files when they are moved around the timeline. 

There's no way to lock any audio region apart from the extracted one (and the ones that result from splitting this region) to the movie when dragging the movie around, but when you change the movie's position relative to the Musical Grid by using this setting (Project Settings...->Synchronization->General)image.thumb.png.3c5d351aa9f23f4b322b0e61a7d79b11.png

all SMPTE locked regions will move as well, so maybe that's a workaround for you?smptelock.thumb.gif.8fbf75e1a03095cef5f2f792468574e6.gif

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, polanoid said:

There's no way to lock any audio region apart from the extracted one (and the ones that result from splitting this region) to the movie when dragging the movie around, but when you change the movie's position relative to the Musical Grid by using this setting (Project Settings...->Synchronization->General)image.thumb.png.3c5d351aa9f23f4b322b0e61a7d79b11.png

all SMPTE locked regions will move as well, so maybe that's a workaround for you?smptelock.thumb.gif.8fbf75e1a03095cef5f2f792468574e6.gif

Yes that's the way to do it! I'm facepalming right now because, although I know about and use that setting, it never in all these years occurred to me to drag the numbers while watching the movie change position! I assume I would also see the active frame change in the movie window. So conceptually this is just like dragging the movie :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, David Nahmani said:

Alternatively, you can find an option to connect SMPTE regions to movie when you Control-click the global movie track: 

Is there a way to similarly force markers to move with the Movie? Now all the SMPTE-locked audio moves when I move the video, but SMPTE-locked markers (and scene markers) stay in the same place.