Exporting/Importing Logic Settings, Key Commands, etc.?

Jonathan Levine
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,
Message added by David Nahmani,

For a detailed, up to date answer on this topic, read the following article: 

I plan on getting a new Mac soon, and previously when I would get a new Mac and transfer over my data from the old one, I would just take screenshots of every single settings pane in Logic and go back and manually re-enter all of my desired settings which is a huge pain. Same thing went for my key commands. Is there a way to import and export these things in like a settings/custom key commands file or something? Any help is appreciated! 

Yes, you'll be wanting to copy your Logic preferences files, both of them, from one machine to the other.

I'm not sure why you'd screenshot these and manually recreate them, seems a lot of work when you could just copy two small files...

You have a lot of options of import and export of key commands if you want, see the menu in the key commands window:

SCR-20220914-1fm.png.5c53bae8bd7cf041b76212eee4bf519e.png

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

• Solution
7 hours ago, JonathanLevine said:

Where is the Logic preferences file located in Finder?

In the Finder, hold down the Option key while you click the "Go" menu at the top of your screen and choose Go > Library. Inside the "Preferences" folder that is inside "Library" you'll find com.apple.logic10.plist which contains all your preferences (the one you've chosen under Logic Pro > Preferences > ...). 

Always make sure you quit Logic before you copy that preference folder. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonathanLevine said:

Well that’s why I asked, I didn’t even know there was a way to do that until just now.

Sorry I thought this was some intentional strategy for a specific reason. David has the instructions, if you also have a com.apple.logic.pro.cs file in the preferences folder, copy that one across too.

The other option is to do a migration assistant when you set up your new Mac, which will copy across all your old stuff to the new Mac without you having to do it manually. Migration assistant comes up when you set up your new Mac and asks you whether to copy your stuff from a previous Mac, or start fresh.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the help with that guys! That definitely makes things easier when switching Macs in the future. I know that I could just use a Time Machine backup or Migration Assistant when switching Macs, but every time I get a new Mac or Apple releases a major, annual macOS update I always erase my Mac completely and set up everything from scratch to get a fresh start. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JonathanLevine said:

every time I get a new Mac or Apple releases a major, annual macOS update I always erase my Mac completely and set up everything from scratch to get a fresh start.

Indeed - while it's a lot more work to setup, it does mean you are resetting and starting from a reasonably fresh point, and not maintaining years worth of old, out-of-date cruft on a new machine which could have unintended consequences.

Moving from Intel to M1 I also did a virgin setup, as my previous machines had pulled along 15 years of cruft before that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2022 at 12:30 AM, David Nahmani said:

In the Finder, hold down the Option key while you click the "Go" menu at the top of your screen and choose Go > Library. Inside the "Preferences" folder that is inside "Library" you'll find com.apple.logic10.plist which contains all your preferences (the one you've chosen under Logic Pro > Preferences > ...). 

Always make sure you quit Logic before you copy that preference folder. 

Does the com.apple.logic10.plist file also include all the Key Commands you saved? Or do you have to export and import the Key Commands separately?

Edited by globet