How to see current/live value of mod wheel?

logicprouser3819

Is there a way in logic to see the current value of the mod wheel while I'm using it/playing? I know I can use it, record it and then see it in the automation data after the fact, but as I'm playing, I'd like to be able to see a live version of what the number is set to. I'm using a Korg nanoKontrol and have the mod wheel assigned to one of the sliders and I can roughly guess where it might be as a percentage of that slider, but it'd be helpful to know the value. For example so I can get it down to 17 before playing and then during playing slowly move it up to a certain point and know what that value is during improvising.

There isn't a concept of the "current value" of a MIDI message. The only thing that happens is a MIDI message is received, or not. It's not a "thing" you set "a number to".

If you want a display of the modulation wheel MIDI CC data that is output as it's played back, there are a range of ways of doing this, including watching various editor windows, track/region automation displays, use a MIDI plugin, or creating visual environment objects showing the mod wheel events as they are played.

The MIDI data output by Logic during track playback will likely bear no relation to what your keyboard's physical mod wheel or slider is doing, unless you have motorised controls that follow playback.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, logicprouser3819 said:

Is there a way in logic to see the current value of the mod wheel while I'm using it/playing? I know I can use it, record it and then see it in the automation data after the fact, but as I'm playing, I'd like to be able to see a live version of what the number is set to. I'm using a Korg nanoKontrol and have the mod wheel assigned to one of the sliders and I can roughly guess where it might be as a percentage of that slider, but it'd be helpful to know the value. For example so I can get it down to 17 before playing and then during playing slowly move it up to a certain point and know what that value is during improvising.

If your eyes are still capable of reading such small numbers, you could use e.g. a Fader in the MIDI Environment for that

image.thumb.png.5f8a24f530d28c513df6bc017de260f7.png

or if you use a Text/Numerical Fader, you get a little bit bigger number but no Fader position:

image.thumb.png.0cc1195dec2ccdeffaadb71afa18c8ea.png

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1