Midi Capture Utility - Advice?

On 11/6/2022 at 12:09 AM, Nunstummy said:

Any ideas?

Oh, lots of them. However I would need access to an A33.

Depending on the structure of your concerts you could theoretically select more than 32 patches: Use the upper row of buttons as a "bank" button and the lower as a "patch within bank" button. Then organize your concert in sets of 8, and boom: you can select 64 patches (or even 128 by utilizing A+B). The downside is that you don't get the visual feedback on the A33 itself because this would require two preset buttons lit up at the same time.

Another possible scenario would be to press another button into service for this: The preset buttons send their normal values; however once this button is pressed Mainstage remaps the program changes. On second thought that would be my first and "quick and dirty" solution here: create an onscreen button in Mainstage that does this (with the help of Scripter of course). The script would basically filter out anything not useful (like the bank select controllers), remap the program changes into a continuous block and add 32 if the onscreen button is pressed. This would turn the A33 into a sort "dumb" controller with Mainstage doing the heavy lifting itself.

Or another way to tackle this: Organize your concert into sets of 32. Set the program changes for the Patches to identical values across the sets. Pressing a button on the A33 multiple times will cycle through the sets.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-08 um 21.58.45.jpg

18 hours ago, gacki said:

Depending on the structure of your concerts you could theoretically select more than 32 patches: Use the upper row of buttons as a "bank" button and the lower as a "patch within bank" button. Then organize your concert in sets of 8, and boom: you can select 64 patches (or even 128 by utilizing A+B).

Great ideas!

Regarding the dual function of the 16 preset buttons, if I press a preset, then 'LOWER' it sends the program change value on midi channel 2 - so Mainstage jumps to the a different patch - effectively giving me 64 assignments!  Just seems like a weird combo of buttons to push.

I'm going to try some of your ideas!  Thank You!