the mystery of the plugin that isn't there, but is...

fisherking
Go to solution Solved by des99,

i use sonalksis's creative filter plugin occasionally, and just used it a lot in 2 current mixes.

there was an update available, so i installed that. now, it won't validate in logic's plugin manager (i get "VERIFYING RECOMMENDED PROPERTIES: VERIFYING PROPERTY: Latency  ERROR: Property is not read-only as expected    FAIL")

ok. i panicked, but opened the 2 mixes, and... it's there. it shows in the project, and works as it's supposed to. however, since it's not validated (and therefore is unchecked) in the plugin manager, i cannot initiate a new instance of the plugin.

how is this possible? i would think it wouldn't show up at all (altho i'm relieved of course, since i can continue to work on those mixes).

i emailed the developer, but thought to ask about it here. anyone ever see this before? or have any thoughts, suggestions..?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FLH3 said:

I assume you did all the usual things after installing a problematic 3rd party plugin or its update?

i did a million things & then some. it simply won't validate; anyway, i sent the (complete) log to the developer. just surprised it opens where it previously was initiated on a track, and (not) surprised it can't be added new to a channel strip.

Weird, it's as if what opens in your previous instances is a cached version of the older plug-in that was working, but the new update won't work so it won't let you instantiate a new plug-in? 

I would be very curious to hear what the devs have to say. 

Did you make sure you dont' have the old plug-in in one of the two libraries on your Mac (the root one and your user library)?

15 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Weird, it's as if what opens in. your previous instances is a cached version of the older plug-in that was working, but the new update won't work so it won't let you instantiate a new plug-in? 

I would be very curious to hear what the devs have to say. 

Did you make sure you dont' have the old plug-in in one of the two libraries on your Mac (the root one and your user library)?

i have nothing in the home audio folder.

am hoping to hear from sonalksis soon, but, fwiw, am thrilled that i can finish the 2 projects that use it currently. and the plugin that does open shows the current version, so, weirder still...

• Like 1

• Solution

Note - plugins *hidden* in the plugin manager behave in a similar way. They are removed from the menus so you can't add one to a project, but if you open a project that contains them, they will function normally.

And while the plugin currently fails validation, it may have passed before, and Logic therefore knows it's ok to use it, even if trying to validate now doesn't work. So it might perhaps be related to the same logic used to open plugins used in a project, to respect the project as best it can.

Can you save a channel strip setting from the project where it has them loaded, and load that channel strip setting in an empty project?

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Wanted to bump this thread. M1 MBP, installed the Sonalksis Plugin Manager and installed two plugins I own.

Logic won't recognise the AU as being there, but PlugInfo does (and verifies that it's Silicon Native). In Plugin Doctor I can open the VST versions but not the AUs.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 hour ago, 12bitcrunch said:

Wanted to bump this thread. M1 MBP, installed the Sonalksis Plugin Manager and installed two plugins I own.

Logic won't recognise the AU as being there, but PlugInfo does (and verifies that it's Silicon Native). In Plugin Doctor I can open the VST versions but not the AUs.

Anyone have any ideas?

good luck with this. i mean... sonalksis NEVER got back to me about the problems, and, since everything else works, i think it's at their end. but hope you get it sorted.

• Like 2