Free or cheap youtube downloader?

Plastic Meanie
Go to solution Solved by analogika,

52 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

Clipgrab

Be careful. Some sites warn that it's malware:

the ClipGrab download is powered by InstallCore, which is an installation software program that bundles legitimate software with third-party software. Often, the third-party software that InstallCore bundles with the intended program are PUPs, potentially unwanted programs. PUPs can be adware, spyware, or browser hijackers and are designed to bombard the user with advertisements or collect information from the user such as browsing patterns. PUPs can also be programmed to obscure or intentionally complicate the uninstall process to ensure it remains on the infected device.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, but search Google for "Clipgrab virus (Removal Instructions)" and a page will come up.

Edited by pedals
added info

1 hour ago, pedals said:

There's a free one called youtube-dl. It runs in the terminal with a simple command like this:

youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=video_id

If you have trouble getting it to work I could write more detailed instructions on how to install and run it.

Thanks but I’d like something more user friendly 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

make sure you only download it from the official site. 

The malware is distributed on the official site, at least for the Windows version (just checked). There is a link to a privacy policy, but the malware bundler is a fly-by-night company and the domain that hosts the privacy policy is blank and up for sale.

20 minutes ago, Plastic Meanie said:

more user friendly 

It's easier than it looks. Once it's installed, you only need to hit command-space and type "terminal". Then write "youtube-dl" and paste the URL of the video or playlist. I could make a quick video of the process if you want. It's also understandable if you don't want to drop into the terminal. :)

Edited by pedals

I'll check it out. Thanks everyone. It's quite surprising Apple don't include a record screen function in the OS isn't it, which would make capturing YT stuff etc simple. You can record it without sound of course, or even add external mic inputs, but recording with sound is such a common requirement for you tubers, instagrammers and bloggers etc it seems a no-brainer to incorporate it into the OS? I've discovered a thing called Blackhole which allows you to grab the sound too so will check that out too. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I've been using ClipGrab for years without an issue, but you guys are making me nervous 😰 I know I've downloaded it from the official website, but is there a way to determine if it's using Malware or doing something funny in the background? As far as I can tell I haven't noticed any issues with my computer but I'd rather be safe.

Edit: it appears to be an issue with the Windows installation package and not Mac? https://www.thetechwire.com/is-clipgrab-safe/ Though this website looks a little fake lol

Edited by wing

I originally found the malware info from Wikipedia. On the official website, it looks like it's only included in the Windows version, but the links to information about it are broken and the wording is shady. You're probably okay, but I personally don't trust programmers like that.

• Like 1

OK have installed and trialled Blackhole. Works like a dream. You can record your screen using Grab with the audio routed to Blackhole simply by switching it in the Sound preferences and switching the Mic option to BH in the grab controls. You can make it more complex if you want to by setting up an 'aggregate device' so you can hear the screen while you record it, but for basic YT or something, the simple option works fine.

Here's a nice clear tutorial of the easy and hard versions:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Plastic Meanie said:

Yes, sorry. It seems to be $10 a month to use???

I only paid a 1 time fee - don't remember how much, but it wasn't much.  Your original question was about a program to download YT videos.  The conversation is now about real time screen recording.  Softorino will download a YT video in seconds.