Question for videographers that also use Logic Pro X

GeneralDisarray
Go to solution Solved by des99,

No problem - it's always good to explore and check some behaviours to be sure. The ones that tend to most catch me out is when I've always known a behaviour to be true for many years, but then the developers change/fix it since the last time I tried it, and I am indeed now completely wrong about it! It's good to update some of those knowledge areas when they come up - and it's one of the benefits I get from this forum and the good folks here, for sure..!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 1:45 AM, des99 said:

I'm not a big scrubber

Late to the conversation, but I'll add my 2 cents of background here, if I may. 

I guess the reason for audio scrubbing not being a top #1 priority in a DAW is that having a graphical display of a waveform is a much, much better way of finding where to edit in 99 of 100 cases. This is one major achievement of the DAW over working the flanges of a tape recorder, something we all did, not because it was so frickin' cool, but because we simply couldn't see sh!t. 

I have watched *many* video editors on their NLEs and pretty much all of them (except the few who came from audio) had the audio waveform display switched off to minimize the space audio takes up from their precious (and, dare I say, sometimes wastefully designed) screen estate, and also to speed up screen redraws. No wonder they rely on scrubbing while us audio guys don't. 

Then, moving the Playhead in frame increments absolutely makes sense in an NLE, at all times, because the content on your video screen changes, and this is obviously crucial when deciding where to edit. In a DAW, all that happens is that the Playhead has moved a bit more left or right. The only case where you need moving in frames is when you have a movie running in sync. You can assign Forward 1 Frame and Rewind 1 frame to any keys you see fit.

Speaking of which - while, as discussed, trying to force the concept and workflow of an NLE down the throat of a DAW is at least questionable, you may find great comfort in being able to assign the transport and editing commands that correlate nicely between both to familiar keys in the Key Commands window. If you haven't yet explored this, doing so will increase your speed significantly. 

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GeneralDisarray said:

Well, unfortunately the delete preferences file solution was a temporary one:

Annoying! If you toggle the advanced prefs as before, to re-enable the controls, then save the project, does it come back working when you later load the project?

Basically, I'm trying to work out whether the "bug" of not enabling the transport controls correctly sort of "infects' the projects by being saved in them, so even if the preferences are fixed, loading a buggy project disables the controls (and if so, "fixing" those projects by refreshing the transport controls and saving it might stop it happening).

When the controls get disabled, do you have a sense whether this happens when a project is loaded, or happens when Logic is run, or whether it happens at some random point without some obvious cause?

If it's on project load and therefore you suspect it's loading the project that causes it, if you could save out a copy (no audio, and you can delete the region content etc) and zip it up, I'd like to see whether it disables my controls here...

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:17 AM, fuzzfilth said:

I have watched *many* video editors on their NLEs and pretty much all of them (except the few who came from audio) had the audio waveform display switched off to minimize the space audio takes up from their precious (and, dare I say, sometimes wastefully designed) screen estate, and also to speed up screen redraws. No wonder they rely on scrubbing while us audio guys don't. 

Funny observation, but in my case, as a video editor, for 20+ I always kept the audio track/s as big as the screen allowed me to, with the waveform enabled of course. Maybe it's because audio to me is as important as video.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, des99 said:

Annoying! If you toggle the advanced prefs as before, to re-enable the controls, then save the project, does it come back working when you later load the project?

Basically, I'm trying to work out whether the "bug" of not enabling the transport controls correctly sort of "infects' the projects by being saved in them, so even if the preferences are fixed, loading a buggy project disables the controls (and if so, "fixing" those projects by refreshing the transport controls and saving it might stop it happening).

When the controls get disabled, do you have a sense whether this happens when a project is loaded, or happens when Logic is run, or whether it happens at some random point without some obvious cause?

If it's on project load and therefore you suspect it's loading the project that causes it, if you could save out a copy (no audio, and you can delete the region content etc) and zip it up, I'd like to see whether it disables my controls here...

OK so basically, if I uncheck and recheck the advanced features, then enable the pause button and save as default, it works as long as it's a new project. If you save that project, then close Logic and then open loading the same project, the pause button is gone. You can go into the customize panel and click on Apply Defaults, and it will have a checkmark, but still grayed out, and it doesn't show in the toolbar.

12 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

then close Logic

Ok, so your transport is getting reset the next time you open Logic, rather than on a project load?

If that's the case, that indicates to me that this is preference/initialising-related, rather than project related, and is very likely a bug (there's another thread here in the last day or two with someone else having the exact same problem.)

I'd say report it to Apple (if you haven't already), and let's hope for fix is a forthcoming version... I"m not sure there's much else I can do in terms of troubleshooting that can achieve much beyond what we've already done...

It would be nice to know the cause, and why it affects just a few people, but not others...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JakobP said:

Go to preferences > display and enable "large icons in new tracks dialog" or similar...

That worked. Do you know if there's a setting to enable note labels by default? As it is, I have to enable them in every single project. Couldn't find any setting for that.

11 minutes ago, des99 said:

Yes, it's likely because you trashed your previous preferences... :)

Indeed. Weird, I thought I had created new projects after doing that and the big tiles were still showing.