How to get started with generative music in Logic?

pedals

I'm new to Logic and am trying to figure out how to get started with generative music. I would like to design complex rules about which notes and instruments should play.

I've been reading the JavaScript docs for Scripter, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. I want to use regular programming logic to define the rules for what notes get played, but also to use the software instruments and effects in my DAW to actually play the music.

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm not sure if I'm looking for one of these options or something else:

1. Scripter
  2. write a plugin in Swift
  3. write a plugin with something like JUCE
  4. pre-generate the music as MIDI files with something like JavaScript or Python and then import the MIDI into Logic

It seems like a drawback of pre-generating MIDI is that each change would have to be re-imported into Logic in order to hear it, which might be a slow workflow.

I'm a beginner with Logic, MIDI, and DAWs in general. I previously only played acoustic instruments.

• 1 year later...