How to make vocals sound more professional.

Hi everyone, I am currently working on a track and noticed something that I haven't before, my vocals sounded like someone free styling on the radio, not like an actual recording. 

I am a bit baffled as I haven't noticed this before, even though I am using an SM58 I have managed to get quite good results with it before. 

I don't believe I have changed any settings apart from buffer size (64) as that is what seems to work best with my new computer. I must say, I have not yet done any vocals since owning my new M1 14 MBP. 

EDIT:I realise I have also changed the distance from the Mic, I usually am up right close, but am being louder so have stepped back and turned the gain up. Could it just be that without the proximity effect it is sounding dull? I realised after posting this is the only difference. I will try turning the gain down and getting in close. 

Is there anything I can do to get better results? I don't have any other mics, just two SM58's as they usually sound fine. It is very hard to describe what I mean but its kind of like a live version and not a recording. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Edited by conanthewarrior

Would be helpful to hear exactly what you are talking about if you are ok posting a sample. 
Could be: lack of compression, vocal needs multiband compression, wrong EQ-ing, too much/not enogh/wrong type of reverb…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mania said:

Would be helpful to hear exactly what you are talking about if you are ok posting a sample. 
Could be: lack of compression, vocal needs multiband compression, wrong EQ-ing, too much/not enogh/wrong type of reverb…

I read your post and thought I would check, it was wrong EQ. 
I have to be honest- I had completely forgot to even USE EQ where I am so rusty with vocals. 

Thank you for solving this, I kind of have my tails between my legs forgetting something so simple.....