Logic not keeping ID3 tags between sessions

GeneralDisarray

I'm not too happy with Logic Pro X right now. Last night I made a song and I bounced it to MP3, writing all the ID3 tags I needed. The second time I bounced it, I saw that all the tags were missing, but there was this checkmark that says "Use default values", which for some reason was checked. So I unchecked it and then my tags reappeared.

However, today I opened the song, made a few changes, and when I went to bounce to MP3, and unchecked the default values tag, all my entries were gone.

Is this a bug, or does Apple think we are happy to enter all the tags again every session? I don't understand why these tags are not simply in the project settings, so they can also apply to any format that supports them. I mean, Apple's flagship compressed format for their iTunes store, AAC/M4A, doesn't even have the choice to enter tags when bouncing to it.

Edited by GeneralDisarray

If it's a bug I have not experienced it. Here the ID3 tags are saved with the project and they stay the same with every successive bounce of the same project file. You are not working with project alternatives by any chance? Is this issue you're experiencing isolated to only one specific project or can you reproduce it in a new project? 

The "Use Default Value" checkbox should affect only the song title and BPM, which are automatically assigned to the project name and project BPM when selected. 

• Like 1

Thanks, David. It seems to me that it's the same version, but shouldn't that carry over if I do an alternative? I mean, an alternative basically duplicates the project, so if that gets saved with the project, it should still be there.

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

The "Use Default Value" checkbox should affect only the song title and BPM, which are automatically assigned to the project name and project BPM when selected. 

The problem is when that is checked, nothing shows in the tags, if I uncheck that, then it does, unless I had closed and later reopened the project. I just know that one day they were there, the next day they were gone.

Just now, GeneralDisarray said:

when that is checked, nothing shows in the tags, if I uncheck that, then it does, unless I had closed and later reopened the project.

Yes that is odd, and I cannot reproduce this behavior here. 

1 minute ago, GeneralDisarray said:

It seems to me that it's the same version, but shouldn't that carry over if I do an alternative?

No, each alternative is treated as an individual project, with its own project settings that are independent of the other alternatives. 

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

No, each alternative is treated as an individual project, with its own project settings that are independent of the other alternatives. 

But wait, when I create a new alternate project, the new one is exactly as the last one was, all the settings, tracks, regions, everything behaves the same way. Of course if I start changing things in the new one, that's when they will differ, but when I first create it, both are identical.