Mod Wheel Works to Control Synth But Not Recorded

jproxy
Go to solution Solved by des99,

57 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

See that thread: 

Are you referring to the Expression value not being correctly reset in Sampler? That wouldn't be a MIDI chase bug at all, but a bug in the Sampler (as it seems to act differently than other software instruments). So calling Chase buggy because of this Sampler issue is a bit far-fetched I'd say.

11 hours ago, polanoid said:

So calling Chase buggy because of this Sampler issue is a bit far-fetched I'd say.

Saying that I called chase buggy is far-fetched (that's not what I said)! 😉

I quickly mentioned two different issues. I said: 

(1) the automation has the advantage of always chasing the current value, which is a bit more complicated with MIDI CC (which is actually buggy in the current Logic version (2)).

To be more detailed: 

1. Automation always chases the current value means that if you start automating a parameter at value X in the middle of a region then that parameter will be at value X when you start playback at the beginning of the region. That's not the case with MIDI CC. 
  2. MIDI CC behavior is buggy was a reference to the bug that exists in Sampler's handling of MIDI CC.

14 minutes ago, polanoid said:

You probably have this switched on: image.thumb.png.e22454eda9387a528331ee83e42a4616.png

which is not the same as chasing!

Al automation parameters behave the same, so it makes no difference if you show ES1 cutoff freq or Volume automation

No, that checkbox was unselected in my project, and while I could reproduce the behavior you described for volume automation, I was able to take the screenshot I posted for the ES1 cutoff in the same project (without changing any settings). 

I've now reset all my preferences and opened a new empty project and now it does behave as in your screenshot. 

So back to my original point, I personally find it easier to keep track of a current parameter value using automation than using MIDI CC. With automation, whether I create it by drawing nodes or by recording in Touch or Latch mode, the curve starts at the beginning of the region (unless I purposefully edit the curve so that it looks like on your screenshot), and the value is always chased as expected, which isn't the case with MIDI CC. 

2 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

With automation, whether I create it by drawing nodes or by recording in Touch or Latch mode, the curve starts at the beginning of the region (unless I purposefully edit the curve so that it looks like on your screenshot)

Same for MIDI CC. Example: Modulation (CC#1) modwheel.gif.8add83b22c74c3d3d6b5354a262d1a01.gif.

In the video I'm double clicking in the middle of the region, to create a CC node. Node at the beginning is added automatically.

Of course there's no Touch or Latch mode for MIDI CCs

16 minutes ago, JakobP said:

Here is an example project of chasing cc1 failing; See if this works ok at your end ? Play the two regions through, then select the second and do play from selection, do you get the expected pitch ? 

000Chase midiCC.zip 336.05 kB · 1 download

This is fixed in 10.7.4. Can we stay with the current version please? Talking about old, already fixed, bugs will make things very complicated quickly.