A new one. Help. One key on midi keyboard behaving strangely.

Cappy

I have a Nektar panorama P6 that has generally integrated awesomely as a midi keyboard and controller with Logic. Today, my low A key seemed to intermittently stop working. Seemed like a dirty contact strip. Then, when it was working if I only hit that key it would work fine until another key was pressed (anywhere, even octaves up). I went to the dreaded Pro Tools and it never had an issue but who wants to use Pro Tools??!! I dug further and rebuilt defaults in control surface preferences. No luck. Then if I chose bypass all control surfaces it worked perfectly. I use the control surface all the time and it’s a vital part of my workflow. I may have inadvertently set some weird control assignment or my 5 year old did! At one point when I was switching back and forth, between bypass control surface and not bypassed I got the beach all of doom and a message that there was a midi timeout. Any ideas are appreciated. BTW, Logic is up to date. 

I believe you set me on the right path. I did delete the whole control surface but that didn’t help. That led me to go into controller assignment and start deleting some learned controllers that I had been messing with recently. My kid likes to come in and press keys while I’m working. She likely pressed that key while in learn mode and made it do something weird. Who knows. It seems to be working. Thanks for the direction!

Edited by Cappy

The key has been assigned to a Logic command accidentally.  This is not stored against the control surface so deleting the control surface doesn't help.  You need to locate the assignment in Logic's controller assignments dialog:

Make sure advanced options are on.  

Open 'Logic|Control Surfaces |Controller Assignments' (SHIFT+OPTION+K is the QWERTY shortcut)

Press the key on the keyboard that has the problem.  You should see the assignment highlight in the controller assignments.  If so, click on it and delete.

Or if you can't find the assignment, you can trash the control surface preference file, which is where your controller assignments, including the one causing you problems, are stored. (Assuming you haven't done any other custom assignments or control surface modifications, as you'll lose these if you do this.)

Edited by des99

5 hours ago, TChandler said:

The key has been assigned to a Logic command accidentally.  This is not stored against the control surface so deleting the control surface doesn't help.  You need to locate the assignment in Logic's controller assignments dialog:

Make sure advanced options are on.  

Open 'Logic|Control Surfaces |Controller Assignments' (SHIFT+OPTION+K is the QWERTY shortcut)

Press the key on the keyboard that has the problem.  You should see the assignment highlight in the controller assignments.  If so, click on it and delete.

Thank you. I tracked it down a couple days ago. What a weird assignment to have it stop playing once another key is pressed. 😁

5 hours ago, des99 said:

Or if you can't find the assignment, you can trash the control surface preference file, which is where your controller assignments, including the one causing you problems, are stored. (Assuming you haven't done any other custom assignments or control surface modifications, as you'll lose these if you do this.)

Thank you. I was going to head that direction if I didn’t find the culprit. Trashing .plist files solves lots of problems. Not just in Logic. 😁 

I was contemplating a clean install too. I like doing that every once in awhile. That solves almost any problem!  Haha. 

• Like 1