Looking for any sound designers or film or games designs that use Logic

Bcraig_music69

• 3 weeks later...

"Relax!"  (No. I mean that seriously.)

Many decades ago (koff, koff ...) a popular "tech" author wrote a column called "Taking A Sip From the Fire-Hose."  It was a wonderful analogy "back then," and it still is.  A great many things in life are harder than they first appear, and plenty of them – fair warning!! – first present themselves as "a fire-hose in your face." 

(Thirty(!) years later, from time to time this still happens, and I still don't expect it. Koff, koff ...)

I kindly suggest that you simply work through the learning process without seeking "internet feedback."  Not yet.  You don't need "affirmation."  Yet.  Good luck. You'll make it.

Especially during the learning process, learn to "trust yourself."  If there were any "'right' answers," no one today would have to "learn" anything, and music would never again advance, because everybody would already know what the 'right' answers were.  And this is precisely the point. 

Someday, a "sound design" will appear which is exclusively yours.

Edited by MikeRobinson

The best advice I ever got when trying to reproduce a sound I heard as part of a riff or a melody was to first reproduce the riff or melody with any kind of sound, making sure I sequence the right notes with the same rhythm and at the right tempo. Then start dialing the synth to get closer and closer to the sound I'm trying to reproduce. This workflow makes a world of difference compared to just hitting a key repeatedly on your MIDI keyboard while trying to dial the sound. 

Otherwise I would say it's a back and forth between listening and experimenting. If you just listen to sounds, you may never really hear what they're made of exactly until you start trying to make your own, which will open up your mind to the different qualities of a sound (is it high or low? Broadband or narrow-band? Percussive or gentle? Harsh or warm? Staccato or sustained? Etc...).

For example if you start experimenting with the different modules of a synth, say ES2. You experiment with the oscillators and you listen to the differences between a sawtooth, a square wave, a triangle wave, two different waves mixed at different octaves... then you start hearing those waveforms in sounds you hear. Now move on to filters and listen to the differences between a low-pass, a high-pass, a band-pass, and what happens when you modulate them with an LFO, an envelope...? Now next time you'll listen to a sound you'll hear how they're filtered, and if their filter was modulated. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys that well very helpful I have been listening and creating my own sounds from scratch like whooshes and car pass bys etc… and been starting to really listen to how other sounds are created yes it can be very tricky at times but fun and engaging

Thank You guys for all your help and insight thank you David for the PDF I will continue ask questions.

Right now I’m basically studying how to create sounds that will move around all over the stereo field to create movement I use my mic to record something that static and move my Mike around a little bit to create movement any other ideas how to create movement or sound from either a static resource or just in general appreciate it thank you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bcraig_music69 said:

any other ideas how to create movement or sound from either a static resource or just in general

Definitely try to play with automation of your Pan knob, or use the Binaural Panner (click the "Stereo Out" slot on a channel strip and choose Binaural Panner). Or consider even experimenting with Dolby Atmos! 

These guys do some very interesting, free tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/user/prosoundeffects

Don't get caught up on what DAW or what plugin they are using much, a compressor is a compressor, an eq is an eq for the most part.  The moment you can start hearing the really subtle differences between them is the moment you can consider chasing up different options.  Just don't waste time on that kind of thing in the beginning.

It's more important to see HOW people are using these processors and how they are creatively layering and manipulating each sound source that would ultimately constitute the one sound effect.