Distorted sound when recording

Thomas Lermen

I was working just fine on a project, had already recorded multiple instruments through my M-Audio Fast Track Pro, but yesterday something weird started to happen: when I try to record a new instrument, a huge distorted sound come off the speakers, and it is super lagged too. Then a message appears: "error while trying to synchronize audio and midi". On a side note, when I press play on the pre-existing recorded parts, it sounds just fine. The problem occurs only when recording. Please help!

(Below a reprint (in case the website link becomes obsolete)

If you see an audio and MIDI sync alert in Logic Pro

Learn what to do if you see “Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI” in Logic Pro.

This alert appears when the sample rate of an incoming audio signal doesn't match the project's sample rate or if the sample rate fluctuates. It appears most often when using an external audio interface, an external sync device, or plug-ins. 

Follow the recommendations in this article to keep the alert from interrupting your session. After each recommendation, try playing your project to see if the alert still appears. If the alert still appears, try the next recommendation until the alert no longer appears.

Check sample rate settings

When using an external audio interface with Logic Pro, the sample rate for your interface should adjust automatically to match the sample rate of your project. Sometimes, however, sample rate settings might not match. Check to make sure the sample rate settings match.

Check the sample rate on your external interface

Most external audio interfaces have an application (usually accessible in System Preferences or in the Applications folder) that you can use to view and change hardware settings, including the device's sample rate. See the documentation for your device for more information.

Check the sample rate in Logic Pro

To check your project’s sample rate, choose File > Project Settings > Audio. If your project's sample rate doesn't match your interface's sample rate, select the correct sample rate from the Sample Rate pop-up menu.

If your project’s sample rate does match your interface’s sample rate, select a different sample rate from the Sample Rate pop-up menu, then set it back to the original sample rate.

Check clock settings on digital devices

If you’re using an external audio interface with another digital device connected to it, make sure only one interface is the main clock source. See the documentation for your interface for more information.

Check aggregate device setup

If you’re using multiple external audio interfaces combined as an aggregate device, make sure to do the following:

Connect the devices together via word clock, SPDIF, Lightpipe, or AES/EBU.

Designate one device as the main clock source. 

See the documentation for your interfaces for more information.

Increase the I/O buffer size

To increase the I/O buffer size in Logic Pro, choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio, then choose a larger size from the I/O Buffer Size pop-up menu.

Freeze tracks

Freeze any tracks in your project that have plug-ins.

Check sync settings

Check sync settings if you're syncing other applications or devices to Logic Pro, or if you're syncing Logic Pro to another application or device.

When syncing other applications or devices to Logic Pro

When syncing another application or device that can generate MIDI timecode (MTC) or MIDI clock to Logic Pro, turn off “Auto-enable external sync and Tap Tempo.” Choose File > Project Settings > Synchronization, then deselect “Auto-enable external sync and Tap Tempo.”

When syncing Logic Pro to other applications or devices

When syncing Logic Pro to another application or device using MTC, do the following:

• Make sure the application or device generating MTC is not also generating MIDI clock. See the documentation for your application or device for more information. 
  • With your Logic Pro project open choose File> Project Settings > Synchronization, click the Audio tab, then select External or Free from the Core Audio pop-up menu.

Bypass Reaktor Ensemble

If your project includes a software instrument track with a Reaktor Ensemble that syncs its LFO to the song tempo, try bypassing or removing the plug-in from the track.

Use built-in audio

If you're using an external audio interface, try using the built-in audio on your Mac instead of the interface.

1. Unplug your external audio interface from your Mac.
  2. Open Logic Pro, then choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio.
  3. Choose Built-in Output from the Output Device pop-up menu.
  4. Choose Built-in Microphone (or Built-in Input, depending on your computer) from the Input Device pop-up menu.

If alerts don’t appear, you might need to update or service your audio interface. Contact the manufacturer for support.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Published Date: January 21, 2022

4 minutes ago, Thomas Lermen said:

Hey Atlas007, thank you for sendind this.

However it does not seem to be the case of different sample rates in Logic x Interface, because I've been recording audio tracks just fine until yesterday, and I haven't changed any settings in both of them. 

Nevertheless, did you consider trying all the suggestions?