First bar in a MIDI instrument recording plays silent

InspiredIvory

Go to solution Solved by InspiredIvory,

Hi folks ... this is my first post.

I am facing a situation that makes no sense to me. I'll break it down into steps:

1. I am using Logic Pro 10.7.4.
  2. I have create an instrument track, with Komplete Kontrol loaded on it.
  3. I have set up an 8 bar loop in the track editor.
  4. I record the 8 bars, with a count in (1 bar).
  5. When I play the loop back the first bar is silent.

In the Piano Roll I can see my note in the first bar, and it plays if I click on it (individually in the Piano Roll). But it refuses to play when I play the 8 bars from beginning to end.

It doesn't happen when I don't use the Count In. So I am leaning towards thinking it's related to that. However, the play/record position doesn't start moving until after the Count In, so it's not as though the first recorded bar is when the Count In is occurring. Hence I am perplexed as to what's going on.

I must be over-looking something. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

• Solution

Okay. That was simple. After writing my post, I discovered it's due to the fact my first note was starting a fraction before the beginning of the first bar. When I moved it to start right on the beginning of first bar, the issue was solved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, polanoid said:

Usually Logic cuts you some slack and also play notes that are slightly (around 30 ticks? didn't try now) before the "one"

In 10.5.1 it's 4 ticks (at least for me) which is next to nothing. 5 ticks early and it's no longer playing.

13 hours ago, polanoid said:

How far before the first bar was the note located? Usually Logic cuts you some slack and also play notes that are slightly (around 30 ticks? didn't try now) before the "one"

So little it was barely visible. Perhaps one beat.
It seemed odd to me, as I am sure even with a count-in, many users might hit a key (or whatever MIDI device they are using) a fraction before the final count-in beat/tick finishes.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gacki said:

In 10.5.1 it's 4 ticks (at least for me) which is next to nothing. 5 ticks early and it's no longer playing.

I'm not sure if I understand what a "tick" is ... qualitatively. Would someone please explain it to me.
Is that a reference to beats? 🤔

UPDATED: Looks like I found the info I needed regarding "ticks" elsewhere on this forum. In which case 4 ticks seems pretty quick, right? As gacki said, it's basically nothing.

Edited by InspiredIvory

2 hours ago, InspiredIvory said:

I'm not sure if I understand what a "tick" is ... qualitatively. Would someone please explain it to me.
Is that a reference to beats? 🤔

A tick is the smallest time resolution in a logic for midi sequencing, it is 1/ 3840th of a whole note in Logic or 960 ticks per beat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gacki said:

Indeed it's 4 ticks, I just checked. In 10.5.1 the behaviour is even inconsistent: When you play the MIDI region in a cycle, notes that start between 44 ticks and 5 ticks before the region start do play upon cycle jump, but not when starting playback at the region start. At least that's consistent now in 10.7.4: It's always only 4 ticks before region start ;) 

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1