Step Sequencer Patterns versus Loop Browser Patterns

Nunstummy

I re-read the Logic User Manual and I'm a little confused.  Where are Step Sequencer Patterns stored?  Are they midi files or some other format?

There are Pattern Loops in the Loop Browser that appear to be stored in *.caf files, but Step Sequencer Patterns appear to be different and perhaps stored somewhere else? Maybe?

I'm looking for a way to import Step Sequencer Patterns in bulk so I can use them repeatedly in different song projects.  I have a bunch of patterns in other 3rd party drum software apps like Playbeat, DrumComputer and EZ Drummer, but I want to use them in Logic with DMD and my own kits.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

Where are Step Sequencer Patterns stored?  Are they midi files or some other format?

They are .pattern files. Your user patterns are saved under Macintosh HD/Users/your-username/Music/Audio Music Apps/Step Sequencer Settings/Patterns/ whereas the factory patterns are inside the Logic Pro app package in /Contents/Resources/Step Sequencer Settings/Patterns/.

I have a bunch of patterns in other 3rd party drum software apps like Playbeat, DrumComputer and EZ Drummer, but I want to use them in Logic with DMD and my own kits.

Are they MIDI files? You can try to import them in a Logic project, convert the MIDI regions to Pattern regions, and save them as Patterns in the Pattern Browser. 

There are Pattern Loops in the Loop Browser that appear to be stored in *.caf files

These are Apple Loops, which are audio files (the factory ones are .caf files that use lossless compression) that also contain additional embedded data to recreate either a MIDI region or a Pattern region for these respective types of Apple Loops. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:14 AM, David Nahmani said:

They are .pattern files. Your user patterns are saved under Macintosh HD/Users/your-username/Music/Audio Music Apps/Step Sequencer Settings/Patterns/ whereas the factory patterns are inside the Logic Pro app package in /Contents/Resources/Step Sequencer Settings/Patterns/.

That's interesting.  Pattern files seem to be XML.

Library - 1 of 1.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 7:14 AM, David Nahmani said:

Are they MIDI files? You can try to import them in a Logic project, convert the MIDI regions to Pattern regions, and save them as Patterns in the Pattern Browser. 

I can definitely do this, but it's a tedious process.  After I've imported about 10, and realized I'm limited to 64 steps, and broke them up accordingly, and saved them as *.pattern, I can't help but think there must be an easier way?  I'm surprised somebody hasn't developed a utility for Logic *.pattern files to more easily manage them.

I can't be the first person to want to manage a bunch of standard patterns in Logic, can I?

35 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

More thinking about this.  The 'Pattern Loops' in the Logic Loop Browser seem to be different than the *.pattern files in the Step Sequencer, but it's far easier to save midi regions to the Loop Browser with right click 'Add to Loop Library.." and when you drag any of these back into a project, they default to a Pattern Region with the Step Editor.  I'm not sure what happens if the midi region is more than 64 steps - I'll have to test that. It seems Logic has 2 different concepts going on here.  It might be easier to store all my standard patterns in the Loop Browser.  I also need to test if I can bulk add a few dozen midi grooves at once...

Edited by Nunstummy

15 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

More thinking about this.  The 'Pattern Loops' in the Logic Loop Browser seem to be different than the *.pattern files in the Step Sequencer, but it's far easier to save midi regions to the Loop Browser with right click 'Add to Loop Library.." and when you drag any of these back into a project, they default to a Pattern Region with the Step Editor.  I'm not sure what happens if the midi region is more than 64 steps - I'll have to test that. It seems Logic has 2 different concepts going on here.  It might be easier to store all my standard patterns in the Loop Browser.  I also need to test if I can bulk add a few dozen midi grooves at once...

Apple Loops stored in the Loop Browser are audio files, typically .caf (Apple Lossless) for factory Apple Loops, and .aiff (PCM) for user Apple Loops. 

Depending on the type of Apple Loops, the audio files are saved with extra meta data that can be used to recreate the data that was used to bounce the audio data in the first place. All Apple Loops contain audio data, tempo data, transient position data, key/time signatures and genre, key etc... attributes. On top of those, specific types of Apple Loops contain: 

• Green Apple Loops: MIDI region + instrument patch.
  • Drummer Apple Loops: Drummer region + instrument patch
  • Pattern Apple Loops: Pattern region + instrument patch

3 hours ago, David Nahmani said:
  • Green Apple Loops: MIDI region + instrument patch.
  • Drummer Apple Loops: Drummer region + instrument patch
  • Pattern Apple Loops: Pattern region + instrument patch

Thanks!  I’m surprised this notion of having all your patterns in 1 place isn’t discussed more and isn’t a bigger issue.  I have 4 or 5 drum apps, plus the instruments in Komplete 13, plus I use Logic DMD and sequences and patterns are all over the place.  It’s a disaster trying to find previous work.