Alchemy: how can muted source affect output?

dmitch57
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I have a monophonic bass patch in Alchemy which uses three sources. I'm trying to add a sub-bass to it using the 4th source. However somehow enabling this 4th source cuts the output level of the whole patch by 10 dB or more, even when the level of the 4th source is at zero. I.e. the 4th source is muted via its own level control, and turning the source on and off affects the output level of the entire patch. When the 4th source is off, some of its sound gets through to the output, but the main effect is 10 d B or more of signal loss. How can this be?

This shows it. The culprit is source D. Its Vol control is down to -infinity. Turn its enable switch on and off and the stereo out level meter (lower left of the GIF moves by 10 or 12 dB. 

1664107662_Alchemymute.gif.a9b4c881eb8548ed7d9f47f9965d866d.gif

I figure the sound from source D is getting routed to the output somehow, but I can't see where, and I can't see how it could attenuate the output level by 10 dB if it does. What am I missing...? 

Thanks.

Edited by dmitch57
Looping GIF

• Solution

It's because you've set the XY pad stuff to morph between elements, not just mix them, so turning on and off elements will change the resultant parameters that the morph is doing, and change the sound significantly. It's also why turning on and off different elements changes the pitch too, as each of the four elements have wildly different parameters..

I don't know what you are trying to achieve, but setting the XY pad to one of the two Fade settings, instead of the morph settings which morph between elements, will let you hear all the elements and you can balance them by volume. It will change the tone of course.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, des99 said:

It's because you've set the XY pad stuff to morph between elements, not just mix them, so turning on and off elements will change the resultant parameters that the morph is doing, and change the sound significantly.

Yep, that was it. 

21 minutes ago, des99 said:

I don't know what you are trying to achieve,

Oh, I wasn't *trying* to achieve anything with that morphing...I just snagged a stock patch that sounded cool, and I started tweaking it. Without, of course, fully understanding it. :-)

So much to learn. Thanks! 

• Like 2