Deleting Files to Free Up Space Query

Julia Mosley

I've just this morning started transferring files to iCloud and External drive, I then deleted about 5gb of the transferred files from my computer, went to check my storage space and it now says I have 50gb more space ... I am a little worried, I'm certain I only deleted the files that added up to approx. 5gb in total, what could be an explanation for this?

Edited by Julia Mosley

Have you emptied your bin? You may have had a load more deleted files in there from past deletions, so when you added another 5GB of files to the bin ("deleting files"), then cleared it out (*actually* deleting them from your disk), your bin with all the previous deletions in total could have been much larger.

It's really difficult to say what's going on on a users computer without basically watching what they are doing.

Also, remember that moving files from your computer, to your external drive, *is not a backup*. If you are worried about your computer, and managing files in general, you probably want to use an external drive to actually backup your complete computer, if you are not already doing this. Time Machine is easiest, and this will protect you from accidentally deleting something you didn't want to delete - so you don't have to be so worried! ;)

I suppose that is possible, I really thought I had checked the bin though. Thanks for the heads up on that, that's why I am moving them to iCloud as well, they are kind of archive files that I will have in two places. I have time machine as well but obviously time machine won't back up the archived files as I don't believe there's a way to include other drives alongside the computer hard drive in a backup to the Time Machine enlisted drive? Thank you :).

Edited by Julia Mosley
  • Like 1