Good small monitors (w/ Bluetooth as well)???

Choice is quite limited in that price range, and you can't expect miracles out of these tiny speakers. If you can afford it, try to shoot for 5" speakers? Ideally you should go to a store and listen to them with a couple of mixes you are familiar with in order to get a feeling for them - but I know that's not always practical depending on where you live. 

In that price range you're looking at monitor speakers from Presonus, Behringer, Mackie, Alesis, M-Audio, Pioneer.

• Like 1

Oh ok then definitely the choice is not as critical! I would still think that bigger is better in terms of woofer size in those tiny monitors (it's not necessarily true in larger monitors). But basically the brands I listed are the ones that have offerings to consider in your price range so pick one of those and you should be fine. 

• Like 1

I haven't heard those specifically but I've worked with Genelec for years. I've owned the 1030a for years and I worked in a studio that was outfitted with the 1034a. I always had trouble mixing with the Genelecs because their high end is quite detailed (hyped?) and defined and no matter what I try my mixes would never translate and ended up sounding dull on everything else.

I remember the engineer in that studio once taped some paper napkins on top of the tweeter to try to tame the high frequencies, but we always ended up mixing on the NS10s instead and used the 1034a only rarely, for example for some critical EQing applications, or when the client was in the room. 

So at some point I gave up on my 1030a, sold them and got a pair of Focal Solo 6 instead, best decision I've ever made. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I haven't heard those specifically but I've worked with Genelec for years. I've owned the 1030a for years and I worked in a studio that was outfitted with the 1034a. I always had trouble mixing with the Genelecs because their high end is quite detailed (hyped?) and defined and no matter what I try my mixes would never translate and ended up sounding dull on everything else.

I remember the engineer in that studio once taped some paper napkins on top of the tweeter to try to tame the high frequencies, but we always ended up mixing on the NS10s instead and used the 1034a only rarely, for example for some critical EQing applications, or when the client was in the room. 

So at some point I gave up on my 1030a, sold them and got a pair of Focal Solo 6 instead, best decision I've ever made. 

Ended up getting the 3" Mackies with Bluetooth yesterday. They were on sale for $99 for the pair. They sound pretty good and should serve their purpose. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Genelecs. The Genelecs are so expensive. Is it the materials they use that escalates the cost? 

Edited by deckard1
  • Like 1

Ended up purchasing the 3" Genelec 8010a's after all 😲. My budget went up. They arrive tomorrow. I really wanted to try them out and they are the perfect size as well. If they sound too hyped, I can always return them. We shall see. 

Edited by deckard1

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Great, hope you end up liking them. Please do let us know how they work for you! I'd be curious to know. 😃

Received the Genelec 8010A's today and am running them through an Apogee Duet 3. Given their very small size I must say they sound quite amazing. I am not mixing on them...so far I have just listened to various songs I enjoy. Very pleasantly surprised. The calibration dip switches on the back of each speaker make a huge difference. It's going to take some time to get to 'know' the speakers I would imagine. But, so far so good. Very impressive. 

Edited by deckard1

20 hours ago, fisherking said:

contact kali, see if they can help. also, does it happen with every device (ie a phone, your mac)?...

Thanks! I contacted Kali and they thought it was a gain staging issue. The terrible hiss happens on all my devices…iPhone, Mac. But, if I just go through my interface without the Bluetooth device there is no hiss. The problem I think is there is no volume pot on the back of the Genelec’s. I think that may be the problem but I am not  sure. 

• Like 1

turn down the source, and check the sensitivity switch on the back of the monitors. this (from genelec):

What should I have the Genelec sensitivity control set at?

Basically you would like to set the input sensitivity so that the output voltage of the source device is able to push the speaker up to its limits.

The input sensitivity setting in Genelec speakers is defined as the level of the input signal required for 100 dB SPL at 1 meter distance. So if you set the sensitivity setting to the maximum i.e. -6 dBu, it means that the speaker outputs 100 dB SPL at 1 meter distance with -6 dBu input signal level. In another words, when the maximum output of the speaker is 110 dB or more, you will need at least +4 dBu signal to push the speaker up to its limits. With + 6dBu sensitivity setting (min) a level of +16 dBu would be required. If your source device isn't capable of outputting such signal levels, you should increase the sensitivity setting on the speaker.

Finally got an answer to the Bluetooth hiss problem I was having with the Genelec 8010A speakers...if anyone else is curious. From Genelec support:

'We actually have the same Bluetooth device here, the Kali Audio MV-BT. I set it up and tested it here. I got the same noise issue that you have. Unfortunately, some Bluetooth devices have a high noise floor. Since the 8010 doesn't have an input sensitivity knob, the most you can do is turn on the -10 dB attenuation on the back panel. From my own observations, the hiss stays at the same level even if you adjust the volume at the source. I also tested another Bluetooth transmitting device we have, and it also had a noticeable noise. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with your speaker.'

11 hours ago, deckard1 said:

We actually have the same Bluetooth device here, the Kali Audio MV-BT. I set it up and tested it here. I got the same noise issue that you have. Unfortunately, some Bluetooth devices have a high noise floor.

I was correct. If you're serious about sound delivery, use cables.

• Like 2