Why isn't my keyboard playing out through my monitors

DanielLowes
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

I converted a garageband file from a old computer, to Logic Pro using my new iMac computer.. I'm trying to get my keyboard to come out my studio monitors when I'm playing it as well but I can't hear my keyboard... its a Korg keyboard that's sorta smaller. also I'm only hearing my previous midi tracks I wrote.

We need a lot more info here to be able to help. What is your setup? What computer, interface, OS version, Logic version? 
Are you trying to play your keyboard and control a virtual instrument in Logic with midi data? 
Are you trying to use the audio in your keyboard and record that to an audio track in Logic? 
if yes, do you have software monitoring on? 
It helps if you answer ALL questions. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atlas007 said:

Specifying the model of the Korg keyboard could help clarifying if it’s a MIDI controller or a synthesizer.

It would also be useful to post a screen capture of your Logic main track area along with the mixer pane open and the problematic (Korg) track selected.

You beat me to it :)  Atlas is one of the best here. 

41 minutes ago, Mania said:

Atlas is one of the best here.

I dare taking it as a compliment… Humbly: thank you!

43 minutes ago, Mania said:

We need a lot more info here to be able to help. What is your setup? What computer, interface, OS version, Logic version? 
Are you trying to play your keyboard and control a virtual instrument in Logic with midi data? 
Are you trying to use the audio in your keyboard and record that to an audio track in Logic? 
if yes, do you have software monitoring on? 
It helps if you answer ALL questions. 

All these questions are indeed essential!

13 hours ago, DanielLowes said:

I converted a garageband file from a old computer, to Logic Pro using my new iMac computer.. I'm trying to get my keyboard to come out my studio monitors when I'm playing it as well but I can't hear my keyboard... its a Korg keyboard that's sorta smaller. also I'm only hearing my previous midi tracks I wrote.

If you:

1. Choose Track > New Software Instrument Track. 
  2. Choose a Vintage Electric Piano patch from the Library. 
  3. Play your keyboard.

Can you hear that? If not then choose Window > Show Musical Typing and use the Mac keyboard to play the notes: can you hear that? 

I have a Quantu2626 interface using thunderbolt and a MacOS Moneterey version 12.6 believe its the one with a slight smaller screen size. The Korg keyboard is a synthesizer... its this web site that shows the picture of one. in case you didn't get the url I tried to add. & yes I'm sorta newer using logic right now. I do have software monitoring on. LogicPro.

https://www.amazon.ca/Korg-microKorg-Modeling-Synthesizer-Vocoder/dp/B0000WS0SC/ref=asc_df_B0000WS0SC?tag=bingshopdesk-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852123977462&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451668456826&psc=1

• Solution

So did you try Davids suggestion ? 

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

If you:

1. Choose Track > New Software Instrument Track. 
  2. Choose a Vintage Electric Piano patch from the Library. 
  3. Play your keyboard.

Can you hear that? If not then choose Window > Show Musical Typing and use the Mac keyboard to play the notes: can you hear that? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DanielLowes said:

yeah its connected to my interface through midi.. theirs no usb.

So from your answers, it seems like your keyboard is connected via midi cable so you’re only sending midi messages into Logic. What you can expect from this situation is.: play your keyboard, instantiate a virtual instrument in logic, have software monitoring on, and you would be able to hear that software instrument through your monitors.

if you are expecting to hear your keyboard’s , built in audio sounds to be heard through your monitors then you have more cabling to do. 

You have to connect your audio output from your keyboard into the input of your audio interface. Sometimes two cables if you have two outputs for a stereo sound. Then you would also have to create an audio track, set the corresponding inputs on it, and turn on softer monitoring.  

Personally, this is why I gave up on hardware synthesizers. Convoluted set up lots of cabling, you have to record the audio. You can record the Midi performance, then turn it into audio but then when you want to change, just One Note, you change it in the piano roll then you have to re-record the performance on an audio track, etc.. software synthesizers got really good computers are fast enough. I don’t think that extra quality is worth it for most people especially in a mix you can’t tell. 

i’m just guessing what you are trying to achieve but hopefully this helped.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mania said:

So from your answers, it seems like your keyboard is connected via midi cable so you’re only sending midi messages into Logic. What you can expect from this situation is.: play your keyboard, instantiate a virtual instrument in logic, have software monitoring on, and you would be able to hear that software instrument through your monitors.

if you are expecting to hear your keyboard’s , built in audio sounds to be heard through your monitors then you have more cabling to do. 

You have to connect your audio output from your keyboard into the input of your audio interface. Sometimes two cables if you have two outputs for a stereo sound. Then you would also have to create an audio track, set the corresponding inputs on it, and turn on softer monitoring.  

Personally, this is why I gave up on hardware synthesizers. Convoluted set up lots of cabling, you have to record the audio. You can record the Midi performance, then turn it into audio but then when you want to change, just One Note, you change it in the piano roll then you have to re-record the performance on an audio track, etc.. software synthesizers got really good computers are fast enough. I don’t think that extra quality is worth it for most people especially in a mix you can’t tell. 

i’m just guessing what you are trying to achieve but hopefully this helped.

I don't have speakers on my keyboard, I have a huge load of cables, I'm fairly good at cabling I think, and its hooked in with midi, it has outputs so I could hook it up with a guitar cable that I don't use. cause my interface has something else plugged in each other input.... but the last answer I got solved my problem enough, thanks for any other possible help though.