How can I keep automation for certain parameters but still use the volume fader?

Stevie Boi
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hi All!

I've been mapping out automation on a software instrument track in Logic Pro. The automation I want to control is just the synth parameters of Cut Off and Resonance. 

What I don't want to do is to control the volume of that instrument track with automation. I want to be able to continue to use the volume fader to adjust the volume. The volume now seems to be only adjustable by selecting points on that yellow automation line.

No matter if I select Read, Touch, Latch or Write - none of these will allow me to use the volume knob. From memory, there used to be an 'Off' option from this menu in older versions of logic. Either way, it's not there anymore.

Any attempts to google the problem all come back with the same suggestions as to how to delete volume automation. Deleting automation is not the goal here.

I want to use certain automation but keep the volume of the tracked locked with the volume knob. When I delete all points of the volume automation, aside from the start and end points (impossible to delete), the volume stays locked to those parameters and the volume knob doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Edited by Stevie Boi

I probably recorded CC7 as automation in the region.

To have the On/Off button showing up when hovering the mouse at the hot spots, the proper automation mode Region/Track (aka TBA / RBA) has to be selected and the desired automation type (Volume) also has to be selected/displayed.

Caveat: In Logic there are two Volume automation types: MIDI Volume (CC7 automation) and Volume (fader7 automation).

• Like 1

• Solution
8 hours ago, Stevie Boi said:

When I delete all points of the volume automation, aside from the start and end points (impossible to delete), the volume stays locked to those parameters and the volume knob doesn't do anything.

Go main menu Mix > Delete Automation > Delete Visible Automation on Selected Track. Only the visible automation gets deleted...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1