Quick Sampler DMD factory preset location ?

rededfred2010
Go to solution Solved by rededfred2010,

I want to edit one of the factory Quick Sampler single drum kit hits that can be accessed in DMD and make my own. I know the patches are in the Logic Pro resources folder but can't find the Quick sampler patches that load when you load the patch from the left hand library. I can do it already just by saving the patch and moving it but I am curious as to where Logic stores them.

Sampler file extension is .exs like the old EXS24 and the Quick Sampler is .pst but there does not seem to be a load of kick/snare/hat etc Quick Sampler pst files.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Control-click the Logic Pro app and choose "Show Package Contents" then navigate to /Content/Resources/Patches/Instrument/Drum Machine/z01 Kit Pieces/

Hello David. Thanks for the reply.

As I said I know about the resources folder but they are Patches not QSampler presets. DMD changed from using Ultrabeat to Quick Sampler as you know. When you choose Kick in the DMD the library automatically goes to the kick folder and so on and loads a patch. That patch contains a preset from QSampler and a sample. I can find the sample but not the QS preset that the patch includes. Thanks again for your help.

18 hours ago, rededfred2010 said:

can't find the Quick sampler patches that load when you load the patch from the left hand library.

That is the question I answered. The path I gave you is where you find the Quick Sampler patches that are loaded when you click a patch from the left hand library. 

5 hours ago, rededfred2010 said:

they are Patches not QSampler presets.

That's correct. When you click a DMD cell, the Library shows you patches, not Quick Sampler presets. The patches can contain Quick Sampler or Drum Synth or Ultrabeat plug-ins (and their parameter values), but no presets.

5 hours ago, rededfred2010 said:

That patch contains a preset from QSampler and a sample.

No, the patch does not contain a Quick Sampler preset. A patch does not contain a preset. You can verify this: insert a plug-in, choose a preset, then save that as a patch in the Library. Then recall that patch, you'll see that the name of the preset will not appear on the plug-in. The patch recalls the settings of every parameter from every plug-in on the channel strip, but it does not contain any presets. 

So back to DMD: the patch you choose in the Library contains Quick Sampler (and its parameter values) and a sample. The path I shared is the path of the patches.

You can tell there's no Quick Sampler preset because as you choose different patches in the Library, the Setting pop-up menu in Quick Sampler continues to display "User Default" or "Factory Default". 

For example, if you follow the path I gave you, you can find all your Kick patches: 

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.46.51 PM.png

• Solution
17 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

That is the question I answered. The path I gave you is where you find the Quick Sampler patches that are loaded when you click a patch from the left hand library. 

That's correct. When you click a DMD cell, the Library shows you patches, not Quick Sampler presets. The patches can contain Quick Sampler or Drum Synth or Ultrabeat plug-ins (and their parameter values), but no presets.

No, the patch does not contain a Quick Sampler preset. A patch does not contain a preset. You can verify this: insert a plug-in, choose a preset, then save that as a patch in the Library. Then recall that patch, you'll see that the name of the preset will not appear on the plug-in. The patch recalls the settings of every parameter from every plug-in on the channel strip, but it does not contain any presets. 

So back to DMD: the patch you choose in the Library contains Quick Sampler (and its parameter values) and a sample. The path I shared is the path of the patches.

You can tell there's no Quick Sampler preset because as you choose different patches in the Library, the Setting pop-up menu in Quick Sampler continues to display "User Default" or "Factory Default". 

For example, if you follow the path I gave you, you can find all your Kick patches: 

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.46.51 PM.png

Thank you David. You have answered my question so thoroughly. I got a little confused and mixed up my patches from my presets wording but that is the answer I was looking for. Cheers and thanks again for taking the time out of your day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes, just click the Save button in the Library to save your patch. Just give it a try and if that doesn't work the way you want, let us know!

The only problem with that method is that the library loads a new channel strip every time you select another. If you save the QS preset and have lots of presets you can move through them a lot faster in the Logic library as it is only loading the sample or am I doing it wrong.

20 minutes ago, rededfred2010 said:

The only problem with that method is that the library loads a new channel strip every time you select another. If you save the QS preset and have lots of presets you can move through them a lot faster in the Logic library as it is only loading the sample or am I doing it wrong.

Forget what I said. I am wrong.

• Like 1