Error synchronizing audio 44.1khz project played through 48khz AV Receiver via HDMI

EdisonCarter

Hi,

I'm trying to work on a 44.1khz project with a Mac Mini M1 that has audio connected via HDMI to an Onkyo AV receiver. When I play, I get the following error popup, and the audio plays fast:

Error while trying to synchronize audio and midi
Sample Rate 48,000 recognized
Check conflict between Logic Pro and external device

I tried setting the project settings>audio>sample rate to 48khz, but this plays the audio fast without the error popup.

Is there no way for Logic to perform sample rate conversion on an old project that doesn't match the frequency of the playback device?

Thanks

Maybe a stupid question, but can the Onkyo be set to 44.1 kHz?

And just a general advice, I wouldn't use 44.1 kHz as a default sample rate for Logic projects. 48 and 96 are standard formats in audio post and music production.

I think that in order to play back your old 44.1 kHz projects on a device that only supports 48 kHz, you would have to change it to 48 kHz (as you did), but also convert all the audio files to 48, which you can do from the Browser, and then select Copy/Convert File from the Audio File menu.

1 hour ago, speakerfood said:

And just a general advice, I wouldn't use 44.1 kHz as a default sample rate for Logic projects. 48 and 96 are standard formats in audio post and music production.

I think that in order to play back your old 44.1 kHz projects on a device that only supports 48 kHz, you would have to change it to 48 kHz (as you did), but also convert all the audio files to 48, which you can do from the Browser, and then select Copy/Convert File from the Audio File menu.

'general advice'? that would depend on the end goal. for example, streaming services require 44k, and CDs are 44k. i personallly do all my logic projects at 24/44 (except for filmwork, done at 24/48), so nothing to convert for the final destination....

13 minutes ago, fisherking said:

'general advice'? that would depend on the end goal. for example, streaming services require 44k, and CDs are 44k. i personallly do all my logic projects at 24/44 (except for filmwork, done at 24/48), so nothing to convert for the final destination....

OK, I was under the impression that its always better to work in 48 or higher, and then downsample if you need to go to 44.1 or less.

Well now.... isn't this ironic. I was just about to post the same question after having just started receiving the exact dialog just moments ago. So instead of posting a duplicate question I'm going to see the responses here for a resolution as well. Not trying to hijack your post @EdisonCarter 🙂

So here's the dialog I'm certain @EdisonCarter is referencing though the sample frequency deviation is most likely different.

1678801277_ScreenShot2022-10-11at8_22_15AM.png.b87f96f223bf1ed1b9f785be7972e994.png

Now the interesting thing here is that I actually CAN and have changed the external audio sample rate to match the project but it has done nothing to resolve the issue.

What other options can be recommended for this issue?

@EdisonCarter changing the sample rate of the Project can be more trouble than it's worth from my experiences. E.g. sometimes this can cause audio on other tracks to get thrown out of sync and especially in the case or when you may be using Flex or ARA plugins to do audio editing that haven't yet been bounced.

It certainly is an option, but not one I personally favor.

Edited by Maestro777

41 minutes ago, speakerfood said:

OK, I was under the impression that its always better to work in 48 or higher, and then downsample if you need to go to 44.1 or less.

i have a collaborator who records 96k, then downsamples for streaming. he's convinced the sound is 'better' this way. 

so, really... whatever works. for me, the simplicity of recording & mastering in the format i will end up in makes sense.

speakerfood said:

The Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer receivers I have tried only seem to offer 48khz and above over HDMI, and will not play 44khz that way, in spite of being able to play that frequency from other sources such as CD players and DLNA audio. 

For my own recordings, I will be using 24bit/192khz since that is my preferred listening format, or probably 24bit/96khz for surround sound mixes, but in this case I am working on someone's backing tracks for that are used on a Roland Fantom synthesizer, and it supports 16bit/44khz samples only as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Edited by EdisonCarter

What I am confused by is that there does not seem to be any way to set a default for the sample rate of project settings. When I open a MIDI file, it opens in Logic with a project setting of 44khz, and then audio can't actually be played. It seems that Logic defaults to 44khz in spite of that perhaps not being the ideal.

I have been trying to figure out how to set a project to 48khz without the audio tracks in it speeding up, but do not know the procedure. I will try to look for the copy/convert option since that has evaded me. I have some multi-track audio projects and it will be somewhat annoying if I have to manually convert all of the existing audio tracks to 48khz then reconstruct the projects.

create a 48K template, and always start with that (for whatever you do next). go to file>project settings>audio, change 44 to 48, and save your template, to always use as a starting point.

also the perfect moment to set up other conditions, sounds, etc.

24bit is set for the app overall in logic's recording preferences, but the sample rate is set by project (hence, the idea of your own template)

Hi,

I have created 48k templates, but Logic ignores them when doing things like opening a MIDI file from storage.

I still haven't figured out how to load 44.1khz audio into a 48khz project without the audio speeding up. I tried using the browser and importing the tracks from the old project into a 48khz template, but it did not convert the sample rate and still plays the files faster. 😕

if you're opening a file from elsewhere, the template (obviously) won't help and am sure there's ways to do the conversion in logic (someone else here should know). but you could try this:

XLD

free app (i use it often to convert, say, an folder's worth of wav files to mp3s). you can batch convert files (ie wav 44 to wav 48), see if that works for you...

Ok I think I figured out a procedure in Logic:

Load the problematic 44.1k project
Go to File>Project Settings>Audio> and set sample rate to 48khz
Right click on a 44.1khz audio region and select Convert>Convert to new audio region
Change the filename, such as adding 48 to the end
Change the sample rate to 48khz
Save

Logic appears to replace the old file in the timeline with the converted one so I don't need to re-import the audio regions and manually place them in the timeline.

I don't know if there is any way to do this for multiple files at once, and will have to work on that.

Cheers

fisherking said:

XLD

free app (i use it often to convert, say, an folder's worth of wav files to mp3s). you can batch convert files (ie wav 44 to wav 48), see if that works for you...

Thanks, I will put that on the Mac for future reference. I have been using a batch audio file converter on PC to convert FLAC to WAV (since Logic doesn't recognize FLAC ?!?!?), so this will be helpful to have.

I am hoping to avoid having to convert files and rebuild projects, so I will probably only use this for new projects.

Cheers