How to double or half the speed of a cell in Logic Pro X Live Loops?

hollandrisley

Here is what I gleaned on the web:

"In Logic Pro, select a cell. In the Cell inspector, click the disclosure arrow next to Play From to view the loop length, then do one of the following: Double-click the Loop Length setting, then enter a new value."

(…didn’t try it though…not at the studio…)

Edited by Atlas007

9 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Here is what I gleaned on the web:

"In Logic Pro, select a cell. In the Cell inspector, click the disclosure arrow next to Play From to view the loop length, then do one of the following: Double-click the Loop Length setting, then enter a new value."

(…didn’t try it though…not at the studio…)

That won't change the playback speed...

On 10/11/2022 at 12:13 AM, hollandrisley said:

Hi,

How do I make a cell in Logic Live Loops play at double the speed, or how do I make it half speed?

Can't for the life of me work out how to do this intuitively and searched with no joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MIDI or Audio?

On 10/11/2022 at 1:13 AM, hollandrisley said:

Hi,

How do I make a cell in Logic Live Loops play at double the speed, or how do I make it half speed?

Can't for the life of me work out how to do this intuitively and searched with no joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

For audio,

In the editor

Edit Menu/Edit Smart Tempo and choose double or half of what is set to.

but AFAIK does not work with Apple Loops

53 minutes ago, polanoid said:

For Apple Loops in Live Loops Cells, you can simply use the menu entry from the Speed menu image.thumb.png.3e46528e82acbe40f6a7961ed541a550.png

I just checked this

Loadaed an Apple Loop,  it loaded as Flex Monophonic

When I change it to Slice, or any other algorithm,  speed value entries turn to gray.

Selecting Monophonic again does not make them available either. Only way is undo. Is this a bug?

17 minutes ago, ozinga said:

Loadaed an Apple Loop,  it loaded as Flex Monophonic

Apple Loops don't "load as Flex Monophonic". They adapt to the tempo independently of Flex mode. The Flex mode will also not affect how they are being played back.

When I change it to Slice, or any other algorithm,  speed value entries turn to gray.

That's because by changing the Track's mode to Slice, you switched Flex Mode on for that track

Selecting Monophonic again does not make them available either.

Of course not because Flex Mode is still on then. Turning Flex Mode OFF will un-grey the speed entries again.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

I agree, this is indeed confusing, as you can switch on Flex & Follow for regular Audio recordings like you can do for Apple Loops, but when you do that, Logic will switch on Flex for that Track (Flex Mode will switch from "Off" to "Automatic"), which it will not do for Apple Loops.

The reason for this I think is that Apple Loops already contain embedded metadata (e.g. about Transient positions, maybe even about the nature of their contents, so the best time stretching algorithm can be chosen automatically) that allows them to follow tempo without the additional Flex Time overhead.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1