Color Coding Piano Roll ranges?

bhuether

I suppose this is more of a feature request.  I often think about instruments and their ranges, how they have different timbre.  For instance, it would be great for me to color code lower notes on an Oboe track so that I have visual feedback along lines of "Oh wait, in that low range it might be too honking sounding"

Sometimes it is just too much to keep in my head about various instruments, their characteristics, so being able to color code note ranges on Piano Roll would be awesome...

thanks

Hi, I don't necessarily want to limit, just would be nice to color code ranges, so that I can have visual feedback for characteristics such as "muffled, honky", "bright, defined", "shrill, loud".

That is, for some instrument, I know in certain ranges there are certain traits. Like upper end of flute being loud. Low end of French Horn being muffled. Etc, etc. So I am trying to see if Logic has means to let me specify color codings to key ranges so that I can better keep track of all the nuances of instrumnent ranges and their qualities.

Hmm, I'm not sure there would be enough demand for this kind of thing for them to implement it, but it's an interesting thought.

In your case what I would do is just make a custom frequency chart or references and color coding and stick it on all your wall as a reminder. It would look something like this but with your own instruments and descriptions.

Might even be easier than the piano roll because you'd have the reference guide in one place.