Expanding Drummer

Jose Nation

I'm one of the people out there that love drummer and its AI engine, and by dialing in the right workflow, I've found a seemingly limitless amount of variation in the rhythms you can create. Couple of things that could be very useful to make it even better:

1. Dialing in something like a waltz can be a bit painful, and it makes me wonder if there needs to be a rhythm added to each drummer that addresses the 3/4 time AND swing of a waltz specifically. And if that is already there, I kind of think they need to make that more apparent
  2. Metal and Jazz drummers are missing. Ostensibly you could manually dial that in for each drummer, but that seems a bit painful. The styles should be added
  3. This is the big one: per region, allow the ability for the STRICT following of a track. Like, give us the ability to dial in how closely we want the drummer to follow the bass track (for example). Light could be what the follow setting now when you click the checkbox, a middle setting would get the kick to more precisely follow the chosen track (right now the selected pattern tends to overrule the track it's following), and a heavy setting would cause ALL the kit pieces to follow the chosen track, like for a breakdown where every instrument hits the same beats in a measure

Interested to know if anyone else thinks this would be handy. I love drummer, but they don't seem to grow it beyond adding the occasional new rock or hip hop style, or maybe a new kit here and there. 

I find that drummer alone is worth the price of Logic altogether, and even that is a real bargain!

I agree with there is place for improvement.

I didn’t experiment with waltz… I’ll try that…

For adding styles: totally with you on that one!

For your 3rd point, isn’t possible to push or pull while following?

BTW, have you tried experimenting the use of more than one drummer tracks, each limited to certain kit pieces?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

For your 3rd point, isn’t possible to push or pull while following?

BTW, have you tried experimenting the use of more than one drummer tracks, each limited to certain kit pieces?

Yeah, i like the especially "push," to keep the track energized and to give the feel that the drummer is guiding the rest of the group even though I'm actually just sitting in my little studio all alone playing everything myself. I actually don't use "pull" that much. It's more like, when I have found a pattern that I think feels the best, I find that the kick still wants to fight the track I've indicated it should follow, and instead of, for example, coming in on the "2" like the bass, it still wants to hit on the "and" from its original pattern. I've recently embraced the workflow of taking it as far as I can in just drummer and then converting some regions to editable MIDI, but it drives me crazy that if I change my mind about something, I can't just bring back the drummer controls and mess with dials without losing everything I changed in the MIDI editor. I'd love it if I could just stay in the drummer controls, because the interface speaks to me much more than the MIDI editor.

I've used multiple drummer tracks to have very different feels to the different sections of a song, but not multiple tracks to limit the kit pieces! I love that idea, I def want to try it on the very next song I write.

• Like 1

Have you considered the following workflow?

Once you have MIDI-converted/edited a kit piece as desired, you could keep it in MIDI (deleting the unwanted other kit pieces from that Drummer to MIDI converted region) and when returning to the Drummer region format, silencing (via the fader) the desired kit piece.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, Atlas007 said:

Once you have MIDI-converted/edited a kit piece as desired, you could keep it in MIDI (deleting the unwanted other kit pieces from that Drummer to MIDI converted region) and when returning to the Drummer region format, silencing (via the fader) the desired kit piece.

I like it as a work-around. But I still want the feature!! And just to reiterate: for the record I LOVE drummer, it's a fantastic tool and worth the price of admission all on its own. Hopefully they will continue to grow it!

Edited by Jose Nation

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Jose Nation said:

I'm one of the people out there that love drummer and its AI engine, and by dialing in the right workflow, I've found a seemingly limitless amount of variation in the rhythms you can create. Couple of things that could be very useful to make it even better:

1. Dialing in something like a waltz can be a bit painful, and it makes me wonder if there needs to be a rhythm added to each drummer that addresses the 3/4 time AND swing of a waltz specifically. And if that is already there, I kind of think they need to make that more apparent
  2. Metal and Jazz drummers are missing. Ostensibly you could manually dial that in for each drummer, but that seems a bit painful. The styles should be added
  3. This is the big one: per region, allow the ability for the STRICT following of a track. Like, give us the ability to dial in how closely we want the drummer to follow the bass track (for example). Light could be what the follow setting now when you click the checkbox, a middle setting would get the kick to more precisely follow the chosen track (right now the selected pattern tends to overrule the track it's following), and a heavy setting would cause ALL the kit pieces to follow the chosen track, like for a breakdown where every instrument hits the same beats in a measure

Interested to know if anyone else thinks this would be handy. I love drummer, but they don't seem to grow it beyond adding the occasional new rock or hip hop style, or maybe a new kit here and there. 

All great suggestions!  Logic’s drummer is amazing.  It would be nice to have some more styles.  

It would also be nice to select  rhythmic styles like swing, waltz, samba, etc…

• Like 1