Using Logic on multiple computers: reusing Templates, Channel Strip Settings, Plugin Settings

musicismygas

If your intention is to use a single external drive holding the data that two (or more) computers (each with a Logic installation) could use, I gather (from other topics) that is indeed possible apparently. Providing that the path’s names is exactly the same (in term of names and location route/folder) in both cases and that the data is among the supported relocation. Not all Logic data can be relocated.

I never tried it personally, nor do I know how…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

If your intention is to use a single external drive holding the data that two (or more) computers (each with a Logic installation) could use, I gather (from other topics) that is indeed possible apparently. Providing that the path’s names is exactly the same (in term of names and location route/folder) in both cases and that the data is among the supported relocation. Not all Logic data can be relocated.

I never tried it personally, nor do I know how…

Yes, I am thinking about actually copying/pasting those folders into the other computers designated Logic folders, and run them natively without the Hardrives on the new computer.

I intent to use the external harddrives simply as a means to transfer these files over, and not have them plugged in each time I use the templates, etc. 

Hope this makes sense

The data from the external drive could apparently be used by any of both computers.

Schematically speaking, external drive 'X', computer 'A' and computer 'B':

• data still residing in 'X' can be used directly by 'A' while they ('A' and 'X') are connected together
  • data still residing in 'X' can be used directly by 'B' while they ('B' and 'X') are connected together.
Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 9:17 PM, musicismygas said:

Is there a way to re-use our saved Channel Strip Settings, Mix Templates, Plugin presets (both stock and third party) on more than one computer with Logic?

Is it possible to save these files or folders into an external hardrive to transfer over?

I have my Logic's "Audio Music Apps" folder in my Dropbox folder using a symlink.

It does the job with no problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fdco said:

I have my Logic's "Audio Music Apps" folder in my Dropbox folder using a symlink.

It does the job with no problem.

Thanks. I've yet to be familiar with using cloud / symlink to run with Logic. Did you mean that all of you need Dropbox to be open so that you could use your plugins?

28 minutes ago, musicismygas said:

Thanks. I've yet to be familiar with using cloud / symlink to run with Logic. Did you mean that all of you need Dropbox to be open so that you could use your plugins?

Dropbox is a service that syncs data between computers using your account. It's like iCloud, only more predictable. You have to move the "Audio Music App" anywhere you want in your Dropbox Folder, then create a symlink that point to the moved "Audio Music App" and place that symlink at the "Audio Music App" original location ( which is ~/Music/Audio Music Apps IIRC).

Proceed with caution. If you don't feel comfortable with this, ask someone who's knowledgeable.

In any case, backup once, backup twice and then backup one more time.

Edited by fdco
Typo
  • Like 1