+inifinty clipping?

conanthewarrior

Hi everyone, today I was playing back a vocal I had recorded, sent to a vocal bus with compression and DeEsser2 before I decide wether to keep that take or not. 

I pressed stop and play again using the spacebar, and there was a loud pop in my headphones, luckily my monitors were down where I was recording, but where logic displays the signal level that goes red if you are clipping it displayed + and an infinity symbol. 

None of my tracks are near clipping, and this has never happened before, so I wondered is this a bug I have just come across or is something wrong? Afterwards things went back to normal, I just don't fancy that pop at maximum level through my monitors. 

It's the infamous loud burst that happens once in a while to some people. There's enough threads on this forum about that. Hard to pinpoint the cause, but suspicions are for certain 3rd party plugins and USB interfaces, when used together.

To avoid damaging the speakers, some users installed the Ice9 brickwall limiter plugin or similar for protection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, triplets said:

It's the infamous loud burst that happens once in a while to some people. There's enough threads on this forum about that. Hard to pinpoint the cause, but suspicions are for certain 3rd party plugins and USB interfaces, when used together.

To avoid damaging the speakers, some users installed the Ice9 brickwall limiter plugin or similar for protection.

Thank you for your help, I am only using stock logic plugins, but my interface is a focus rite Scarlett 2i4, maybe this is the cause. 

I googled the Ice9 limiter and could not find it, where can I get this and where would I put it in the signal chain to stop damaging the speakers? 

Thanks again. 

8 minutes ago, triplets said:

Yup, not available anymore.

You can use this instead, but not free:

https://nugenaudio.com/sigmod/

Would simply putting a limiter on the stereo out protect my hearing, as well as my equipment? 

I must admit I am not well versed enough to understand exactly what that does that is different to a limiter on the out?

2 minutes ago, conanthewarrior said:

I must admit I am not well versed enough to understand exactly what that does that is different to a limiter on the out?

It depends on the speed of the limiter and if it can block a pop like that. You would have to put the limiter at 20:1 and at the fastest setting. But that can change the sound of your mix as well.

• Like 1