Logic crashing when trying to bounce

ojan327

I have a very full project. It hasn't had any problems whatsoever thus far. However now that I'm almost done with the song, I'm trying to bounce a rough version and Logic is crashing immediately upon clicking OK in the bounce window😩 Any help would be appreciated. Thanks   249411942_ScreenShot2022-10-24at6_08_14AM.thumb.png.4e3b988e4c450e1179026e2abfe0f7e5.png

To make matters worse, I kept going back to the auto saved version when re-opening Logic, trying to bounce and failing several times, so this last time, I did not, I just clicked Saved instead of Auto Saved.. And it went back to the version saved three hours ago.. there are no more recent projects to revert back to, so it seems I have lost several hours of work. I haven't faced any issue this bad with Logic in a long time, and honestly I expect more from Logic. 

fisherking, Right, I thought auto-saved would have AUTOMATICALLY SAVED IT, which is why I didn't hit Command-S when the bounce and crash issue started repeatedly occuring. Yes, I rebooted it, and mp3 settings are normal and can be seen in the screenshot above. I was going to try a real-time bounce, but since the project has reverted back to the last manually saved version, it's bouncing just fine.

triplets, thank you sir. fair enough. 

So even if I Command-S frequently, How do you solve the issue of not being able to bounce when mixes get complex?

Edited by ojan327

your screenshot shows the AIFF settings (altho you're not bouncing to AIFF, only mp3). click on MP3, and you'll see those settings.

auto-save should save at the moment of a crash, so always select that when you reopen a project. however, if it keeps crashing, something's probably corrupt... and you may have to revert to an eariler save.

if you're back in business (even if you need to re-do some work), maybe you won't have the same issue. 

i only do realtime bounces when some effect, or a sustain, for example, doesn't (for whatever reason) play properly in an offline bounce.

triplets, makes sense. i'll keep that in mind and do it from now on. thank you

fisherking, thanks. auto-save is great.. it saves your project so you can open back up to that point right before a crash, but it's not supposed to save an actual version of your project, as command-S does

Edited by ojan327

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue. My project is set up in 88.2 khz wave recording. When I try to bounce a mp3 (which needs to be converted to 44.1 khz of course) it crashes. But when I reset the project recording audio file setup to 44.1 khz, it works fine.

However, some of the waves I recorded before in 88.2 khz are now broken (stretched to half time), which makes total sense. But I don't understand, why not all the waves I recorded are broken. Just some. Any thoughts on that?

But maybe this is the global issue. Bouncing 88.2 khz waves to mp3 and converting them to 44.1 khz. This seems to be problematic. Maybe this helps @ojan327.

58 minutes ago, toro.j said:

However, some of the waves I recorded before in 88.2 khz are now broken (stretched to half time), which makes total sense. But I don't understand, why not all the waves I recorded are broken. Just some. Any thoughts on that?

They're not really broken, they just not playing back at the right speed. Much like if you had a 45 rpm record on a player set to 33 rpm: the record plays too slow, because the player is set to a different playback speed. 

The ones that are not affected ... is it possible that they are Apple Loops? Or tracks with Flex enabled? Those automatically adapt to a different sample rate. 

If you get crashes, as a workaround, you could bounce your 88.2 project to an 88.2 wav or aiff file, then convert the sample rate of that file and bounce to mp3. 

• Like 1

Thx. Yeah, broken is not the best fitting word here, sorry. The ones that are not affected are own recordings without flex enabled. Just equalizer, noisegate, compression and some room.
However I already found a work around for me. I bounce a wave and afterwards convert the wave to mp3.
But this two step workaround normally should not be necessary in logic. Never had this problem with any of the previous version. I hope, it get's fixed in the next update.