macOS Ventura out today

outside of one significant bug (if you try to overwrite a bounced mix, logic crashes), it's a great OS. all my 3rd-party plugins work, and am getting a lot done in logic.

my own workaround for the bug (until a logic update fixes it): i append a '2' (or '3' etc) to the bounced file name, so i don't attempt to overwrite an earlier bounce. simple enough, for now.

good luck to all who dive in today 👍

• Like 3

Just now, des99 said:

How's the System Preferences app now on the release version? By all accounts, it's still bad, just not as terrible as in the betas...

i've never had a problem with it (thru the beta cycle). like all change, it took getting used to. but i think it's fine; it feels like a more-mature and 'logical' way to deal with system 'settings'.

5 minutes ago, fisherking said:

i've never had a problem with it (thru the beta cycle).

I was seeing all kinds of examples with it's design (mostly via Apple design nerds on Twitter) and it was truly awful, unfinished, and looking and working really rough in many ways.

While I sort of like the traditional system prefs, I do also feel it's always been a bit of a confusing mess so I have no fundamental problem with them rethinking it. However, while it's logical for them to want to apply the iOS preferences system, going for a more unified interface that iOS-familiar people will be used to, it's shown often that applying an iOS-designed form factor onto the Mac is less than elegant - eg, the vertical alert boxes, which totally make sense on iOS but on the Mac, and almost permanently landscape device, they make no sense and look really ugly.

Anyway, from what I've seen via socials, some of the clunkiness (in both layout, and bugs) have been cleaned up a bit at least, and at the end of the day, it's not a deal breaker anyway...

27 minutes ago, des99 said:

I was seeing all kinds of examples with it's design (mostly via Apple design nerds on Twitter) and it was truly awful, unfinished, and looking and working really rough in many ways.

While I sort of like the traditional system prefs, I do also feel it's always been a bit of a confusing mess so I have no fundamental problem with them rethinking it. However, while it's logical for them to want to apply the iOS preferences system, going for a more unified interface that iOS-familiar people will be used to, it's shown often that applying an iOS-designed form factor onto the Mac is less than elegant - eg, the vertical alert boxes, which totally make sense on iOS but on the Mac, and almost permanently landscape device, they make no sense and look really ugly.

Anyway, from what I've seen via socials, some of the clunkiness (in both layout, and bugs) have been cleaned up a bit at least, and at the end of the day, it's not a deal breaker anyway...

to be honest, i've been fine with it all along (took about a week to get used to it). it's definitely been improved thu the beta cycle, and now seems, again, more 'mature' than the previous iterations.

either way, we don't spend a lot of time there, and the built-in search function helps learning one's way around. at this point, the older system preferences seems cartoonish, clunky.

finally, it is the way it is, and, as with all changes in the OS, in logic, etc... we adapt 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deckard1 said:

how easy is it to revert back to Monterey 12.6 if Ventura is an issue?

I don't actually know, at this time. In the old days, we'd mirror our system drive, upgrade, then if it went bad, we could revert the drive from the backup.

On Arm Macs & Monterey etc, the system is split into two, a protected system system partition, and the non-protected, upgradeable system files (your root library, apps, home folders etc) and while I can backup my system drive (and do do so), I'm not entirely clear on the process to revert to a previous system and your restore your own backup. It might be that, eg SuperDuper handles all this transparently - I know they had a hard time figuring this out, and maybe it will all just work like it used to - but I'm not sure offhand.

I need to find out at some point, it's just a bunch of knowledge I haven't needed to research and find out, at the risk of potentially trashing my system etc).

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Of course its early days, but those who have tried both Ventura and Monterey,  which do you think is better performance wise for Logic Users? Ive been reading about some issues that have plagued Monterey.

Native Instruments are slow. There's zero support under Ventura, maybe thats excpected, but they dont even have full support under Monterey yet. Reaktor is NOT officially supported and there are a quite a lot of plugins dependant on Reaktor.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014900358-Compatibility-of-Native-Instruments-Products-on-macOS

4 hours ago, des99 said:

I don't actually know, at this time. In the old days, we'd mirror our system drive, upgrade, then if it went bad, we could revert the drive from the backup.

On Arm Macs & Monterey etc, the system is split into two, a protected system system partition, and the non-protected, upgradeable system files (your root library, apps, home folders etc) and while I can backup my system drive (and do do so), I'm not entirely clear on the process to revert to a previous system and your restore your own backup. It might be that, eg SuperDuper handles all this transparently - I know they had a hard time figuring this out, and maybe it will all just work like it used to - but I'm not sure offhand.

I need to find out at some point, it's just a bunch of knowledge I haven't needed to research and find out, at the risk of potentially trashing my system etc).

Obviously better to wait then? 

6 hours ago, deckard1 said:

I can't remember...how easy is it to revert back to Monterey 12.6 if Ventura is an issue? I wanted to try Ventura out. 

it's  simple,  but costs some time.

One requirement. You must have  your monterey backup! othervise you must reinstall all your app's.

boot your mac to recovery mode.

in disk utility: erase system disk. called: Macintoch HD.  othervise you  can reinstall ventura 😉

then you can renistall  monterey.

after  reinstall you can migrate your apps and data  from  backup.

voilah.

//I just finished my system restore

Edited by olavsu1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

it's  simple,  but costs some time.

One requirement. You must have  your monterey backup! othervise you must reinstall all your app's.

boot your mac to recovery mode.

in disk utility: erase system disk. called: Macintoch HD.  othervise you  can reinstall ventura 😉

then you can renistall  monterey.

after  reinstall you can migrate your apps and data  from  backup.

voilah.

//I just finished my system restore

If I upgraded to Ventura, would Time Machine suffice as a backup for Monterey? I've got an external SSD I save my backups on.

Edited by deckard1

2 hours ago, deckard1 said:

If I upgraded to Ventura, would Time Machine suffice as a backup for Monterey? I've got an external SSD I save my backups on.

No.  //I was trying that. i get error. reinstall  monterey first.

You can olny migrate (with Migrate assistant) from backup  reinstalling monterey is finised.

• Like 1

depending on where you started... can't you do an internet recovery? i thought, if you reinstall your OS that way, it installs either the OS your mac came with, or the one you were running...

am not sure, but otherwise... google this. maybe not simple, but there lots of people who revert to previous OSes, so there are paths to that.

7 hours ago, just20 said:

And then the question is whether it will be an exciting update.

10.5 in 2020 was the last exciting update for me 🙂 Which actually made me return to Logic after a long period of time.(Have not used it after 9)

10.6 was mainly Apple Silicon and 10.7 was Spatial Audio which is a niche in generel use and I belive had to be done under the pressure of Apple's big Spatial campaign. Otherwise we would have seen more general features and improvement updates. But I am glad that at least it is out of the way.