De Esser / Stereo out Question

kg2304

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help here...

I am putting a DeEsser on some vocals and working out if it should run after the compressor on my bus or in the channel strip?

A second question is in terms of heirachy - does the stereo out bus follow the channel strip or the other way around?

picture attached.

Many thanks!

Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 09.23.15.png

I usually find both work for me.  I might start with a deEsser on my the vocal channel to catch any initial sibilance then have one at the end of the chain to catch any more that might have been brought up during the processing of the vocal.  

I think the key thing is to use your ear when you are setting up deEsser if you hear sibilance is a problem at any point in the chain then you may want to add one.  After a compressor makes sense as compression could bring out sibilant sounds.  But one at the beginning and end of chain usually works for me. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

In most situations I like to put the de-esser early in the signal chain, so at the top of the channel strip, before any other plug-in. I find it usually works best that way. 

1 hour ago, kg2304 said:

A second question is in terms of heirachy - does the stereo out bus follow the channel strip or the other way around?

The signal flows from the track's channel strip to the stereo out channel strip, so it's processed first by the plug-ins on the track's channel strip, then by the plug-ins on the stereo out.