Getting set up to record drums?

Hi everyone, at college I recall we learnt how to record drums. Unfortunately, I can't remember what we actually learnt due to my memory being messed up. 

I was looking at a focus rite Scarlett Octopre, and wondered how would I set up the Octopre to my current interface, a Scarlett 2i4, or is this not possible? 

Ideally I would like to be able to track the drum mics individually in logic, so realise if I took the Octopre to the 2i4, I would only have one channel that is drums. 

So, how would I set myself up, or can I run something like the Octopre straight to my MBP without the Scarlett, or do I need to look for an interface with more inputs instead of a pre amp? 

Sorry for the newbie style question. EDIT- So essentially, what would I need to get setup to be able to record a full drum kit? 

Edited by conanthewarrior

14 hours ago, conanthewarrior said:

I was looking at a focus rite Scarlett Octopre, and wondered how would I set up the Octopre to my current interface, a Scarlett 2i4, or is this not possible?

Nope, the Scarlett 2i4 doesn't have optical input, so no chance on getting those 8 mic pres into the scarlett.

At this point, you need an interface with 8 or more micpres if you want to record drums with lots of mics.

Edited by triplets
  • Like 1