Anyway to get a legimate copy of logic pro 10.2?

ThomasCheung

I bought logic pro like two years ago so I was on late 10.6 or early 10.7

After seeing the older Logic pro gui I really want to switch to logic 10.2 or any of the older versions. In addition, the older versions of logic pro have said to been less buggy and crashes less.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated. 

No, Apple do not distribute old versions.

I think the earlier GUI's are less refined than now, and the reports that earlier versions of Logic are more reliable suggests to me they weren't using Logic at the time. Certainly Logic 10.0 was quite unstable and it only really started to get more solid in later 10.1.x and 10.2.x versions - with many improvements and additions along the way.

Also, old versions likely won't work on modern macOS versions.

I *strongly* recommend staying with Logic as it is now, and enjoying the features it has, and don't try to get old versions in the hope that something will be better...

• Like 1

Unless you have a backed up version of it then the only way I've done it, and I just did it recently in fact, is to:

• install on old version of Mac OS (10.13.* in my case)
  • open app store and go to your purchases (don't search for Logic and click that)
  • under the Logic tile, click the little download/install 'cloud' icon

IF it works like it usually does (I've had the above steps not work also), then a popup will appear that states something like 'your system is too old for the current version of logic pro, install older version'

Accept that, and you're golden (with OSX 10.13.6, I got Logic Pro 10.2.[something])

I've also done with with OSX 10.14 and got LP 10.5.[something]

This will NOT work if you have ANY version of Logic Pro installed (I've actually had it fail with LP9 installed, which seemed odd to me). And it only works if you can downgrade your OS first.

It will also not work if you go through the app store to the logic pro details page and click the 'cloud.'

It has to be downloaded from the purchased apps page, in my experience (I've done this 4-5 times total over the years)

I'll note that I have no intention of EVER upgrading the OS past what worked with that version of Logic at that point in time, on a machine that also runs that version of the OS at that time. (just to keep around some plugins that I have that aren't compatible with Big Sur/Monterey).

I've not noticed any degredation or improvement in stability or performance on either system, and the UI doesn't bother me personally. UIs change. I get used to them. But I do miss the step sequencer when in these older projects... and sampler.

Hope this helps.

(note that those steps also work for Pages, Numbers, Final Cut and Motion)

Edited by zevo

30 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

Maybe  is better when Logic skin are replaceable.

When I see what people in my area think about it. then I see extremely negative opinions about Logic's current appearance.

Some want the Logic pro 9 look. It had been more intuitive than the current one.

yikes, i would never want to go back to the logic 9 look. fortunately, apple wouldn't do that.

i don't get it; what's wrong with logic's current look? and how is the logic 9 look 'more intuitive than the current one'??  🤔

On 10/27/2022 at 8:11 PM, fisherking said:

i started on logic 9 (the screenshot is from 2009, also when i joined this forum).

i am SO much happier to be in 2022, looking at the second screenshot...

9.jpg

10.jpg

But the second screenshot is not what Logic looks like anymore. I much prefer that than the current GUI. 

4 minutes ago, fisherking said:

this is what logic looks like for me, and i would not go back to an earlier GUI...

brdr.png

I prefer the square buttons on the other picture you posted. I also wish the top bar was the same shade of dark gray as the rest of the GUI. 

1 hour ago, Deif said:

I prefer the square buttons on the other picture you posted. I also wish the top bar was the same shade of dark gray as the rest of the GUI. 

it would be great if apple gave us customization options, but that's rarely a thing with them. either way, your preferences, my preferences... everyone's preferences, cannot be accommodated. so we adapt.

Edited by fisherking

43 minutes ago, fisherking said:

it would be great if apple gave us customization options, but that's rarely a thing with them. either way, your preferences, my preferences... everyone's preferences, cannot be accommodated. so we adapt.

Totally agree.

BTW, I had no idea you could change how plugin names are displayed until I saw your screenshot. Thank you for that! I love how clean it makes the mixer look. There goes the rest of my day renaming all my plugins. Ha!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 4:27 PM, ThomasCheung said:

In addition, the older versions of logic pro have said to been less buggy and crashes less.

It's actually the other way around. 10.7.4 (the current version as of this writing) is probably the most stable and least buggy of all the Logic Pro 10 versions, although obviously because each version has slightly different bugs, different users with different workflows will have different opinions. 

But I wouldn't base my decisions on what "has been said", instead, start working with the current version of Logic on a current version of macOS and you should have a great starting point right there. 

• Like 3

Just now, olavsu1 said:

More  bells & whistles + n ->  more  code  ->  more errors.

Enthusiasts are good guinea pigs.. to try new things.

But the pros are given a well-tried old one, which have the errors been cured out..

that makes NO sense. newer logic versions bring more options, better, improved coding. and there were bugs in LP 10.2... there are always bugs. 

pros? all the pros i know are pretty up-to-date (including ppl on this forum). if you want to work on an old system, that's your choice. but i would not trade the speed, stability, efficiency, and improvements.. of newer OSes and apps, for anything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, olavsu1 said:

More  bells & whistles + n ->  more  code  ->  more errors.

Enthusiasts are good guinea pigs.. to try new things.

But the pros are given a well-tried old one, which have the errors been cured out..

They also keep fixing bugs with every new version. Logic 10.0 was the buggiest of all the Logic 10 releases. 

In my experience, 10.7.4 has been very solid. I don't remember Logic 10.2 being a very solid release. We were still in the early days of Logic 10. 

• Like 2

If  10.7.4 has been very solid. As you said

Why is the wrong instrument played on channel 10 of the imported midi file? it's reserved to drums.

It started to bother me so much that I built another computer so that I could run a DAW without this error.

//if I had known the existence of this error before, I would not have bought an Apple computer...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

If  10.7.4 has been very solid. As you said

Why is the wrong instrument played on channel 10 of the imported midi file? it's reserved to drums.

I'm not going to go there specifically but every release has its bugs. Some of those bugs span multiple versions, some are specific to a unique version. If the bugs touch onto a feature that you use on a regular basis then for sure you won't like that specific release, while someone else (who doesn't need that feature) may be fine with that release. 

I'm sure we could list several hundred bugs for Logic 10.7.4, probably over one thousand. But we could do the same for every single release of Logic. 

My point, in response to the original poster of this topic, is that I don't believe Logic 10.2 or older versions will crash less or be less buggy than Logic 10.7.4. So unless there are some specific bugs you're aware of that affect some specific features that are important for your workflow, I recommend starting with Logic 10.7.4 on the current version of macOS.

The UI argument is a bit different, and a more personal one. If it's important to you, then you're the only one who can tell if it's worth going to an older version for that reason. For me, UI isn't super important. Sure, I wish I could talk in the ear of the Logic UI designer and tell them how I wish they'd do things but since that's not possible I just accept the idiosyncrasies and move on. Stability and features are more important to me, and I rarely click on buttons anyway, as I'm a computer keyboard focused user, and my workflow relies heavily on key commands. But once again, a personal choice. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, fisherking said:

halloween? probably that fixed it 👍

I shouted early. Only one midi file is imported correctly. The one where the drums are on the tenth track. In files where drums are on some other tracks they become piano.

Again new wisdom. set in Sonar (or whatever DAW) drums to track 10 and channel 10, then Logic will import correctly. Otherwise, import fails.

Edited by olavsu1

11 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

I shouted early. Only one midi file is imported correctly. The one where the drums are on the tenth track. In files where drums are on some other tracks they become piano.

Please start a new thread for this because it’s off-topic really. And attach such a MIDI File if possible 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 4:46 PM, Deif said:

I dunno; they sound the same to me. 

On 10/27/2022 at 4:27 PM, ThomasCheung said:

After seeing the older Logic pro gui I really want to switch to logic 10.2 or any of the older versions. In addition, the older versions of logic pro have said to been less buggy and crashes less.

Is this like that weird myth that Snow Leopard was the most stable Mac OS X? I mean, it was pretty stable after a bunch of point-updates fixing the most egregious bugs, but… 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

I just imported a random free MIDI file from the internet which has track 4 on channel 10 and that track imports perfectly as a drum track.

• Like 1