Optimising Ventura for Logic

Gabriel777

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi, first off hard drive space is the biggest issue with m1 Macs, I tried alias folders as well as terminal commands to create symbolic links but its not always permitted..and sadly, I removed a few VSTis and their libraries...

I now re installed Monterey 3 times trying to make a bootable drive, after finally learning that you erase the volume, restore your user then install the OS on top via recovery I still had issues updating anything, error like your not the owner...and I am the owner lol

I finally gave up and started using the internal drive, at least Ventura is almost 40GB smaller than Monterey...one of the two reasons I thought its as worth it, other then using your iPhone as a web cam for zoom meetings.

So im asking you guys what other things we can do to boost logic's performance in many aspects, using loopback for screen recording still causes latency in logic, etc etc

Hi Gabriel, and welcome to Logic Pro Help !

On 10/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Gabriel777 said:

first off hard drive space is the biggest issue with m1 Macs

Why is that? 

On 10/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Gabriel777 said:

I tried alias folders as well as terminal commands to create symbolic links but its not always permitted

What are you using those symbolic links or alias folders for? For Logic Pro itself, you shouldn't use any of them. If you really need to move your Apple Sound Library then use Logic's own relocate feature (Logic Pro > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library). 

How big is your internal drive? 

I have the base 256 GB flash storage that comes with the base M1 mac mini as an internal drive here and I haven't needed to relocate my sound library. I don't use any symbolic links or aliases at all. Anything else I store on external storage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Hi Gabriel, and welcome to Logic Pro Help !

Why is that? 

What are you using those symbolic links or alias folders for? For Logic Pro itself, you shouldn't use any of them. If you really need to move your Apple Sound Library then use Logic's own relocate feature (Logic Pro > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library). 

How big is your internal drive? 

I have the base 256 GB flash storage that comes with the base M1 mac mini as an internal drive here and I haven't needed to relocate my sound library. I don't use any symbolic links or aliases at all. Anything else I store on external storage. 

Why is space an issue? try doing video with less then 100GB of space left after installing your system and apps., NI Instruments which moved to an external drive was over 80GB,

My problem with relocating the logic sound library is that I had previously done it unto 3 of my external SSD drives, they now show up in my logic library saying Apple Loops are here and there..which makes no sense cause I was forced to download Apple Loops again after upgrading machines and cloning back my user with Time Machine. 

Is there a way to force logic to choose a library I had always relocated to an external drive, cause I don't see this option, does logic need full disk access  like the terminal. in Ventura?

Thanks

Edited by Gabriel777

28 minutes ago, Gabriel777 said:

Why is space an issue? try doing video with less then 100GB of space left after installing your system and apps

Yes, but this is a consequence of having a small system drive, and nothing to do with M1 Macs or Ventura as such.

If you *need* a large system drive for your work, you have to pay Apple's fairly significant storage costs, and there's a compromise there for sure that I understand all too well. I'd love to have 2 or 4TB in my MBP, but couldn't justify the cost, so I make do with 1TB, shuffle stuff around, and get one or more cheaper external SSD (or spinning drives) to make up the difference - less convenient, but a lot cheaper, and at least is extensible in the future.

There is a trick to relocate to an existing external library, that I've documented here before - if I can find it, I'll repost...

• Like 1

• Solution
1 hour ago, Gabriel777 said:

Why is space an issue? try doing video with less then 100GB of space left after installing your system and apps., NI Instruments which moved to an external drive was over 80GB,

I understand. From the part I quoted when I asked "why is that", it sounded like this was an issue specific to M1 Mac computers. So if you have a lot of apps then you should definitely get a larger system drive, and move all your libraries to external drives. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel777 said:

Is there a way to force logic to choose a library I had always relocated to an external drive, cause I don't see this option, does logic need full disk access  like the terminal. in Ventura?

There's no official way to do this however see the following topic: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, des99 said:

Yes, but this is a consequence of having a small system drive, and nothing to do with M1 Macs or Ventura as such.

If you *need* a large system drive for your work, you have to pay Apple's fairly significant storage costs,  

I think you should keep politics off topic,  words like fairly to suggest that Apple deliberately hacked their computers to extort consumers into paying hundreds of times more for their soldered unto mother board SSDs that have the actual value of a cheap SD card? I guess its funny lol

So, I found a way to create symbolic links by giving full drive access to the terminal, all the notes related folders inside my user/library/containers and group containers appeared as indicated by terminal with full access to the drive., but I still get this error saying notes can't access its data.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 00.40.07.png

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I understand. From the part I quoted when I asked "why is that", it sounded like this was an issue specific to M1 Mac computers. So if you have a lot of apps then you should definitely get a larger system drive, and move all your libraries to external drives. 

There's no official way to do this however see the following topic: 

thanks for sharing info like this, my problem is that I had upgraded from Catalina and 2015 iMac, I had already relocated the sound library files unto an external drive.

Then  I upgraded to a iMac m1, I could not link the 60GB (like you) to Monterey..so I re downloaded them and relocated them unto another external SSD drive..

Now im in Ventura and have no more drives to relocate the sound library files...says they exist on all my external drives., I guess formatting them would do the job but really? 

Any advise welcomed, aim gonna ask Apple tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, Gabriel777 said:

I think you should keep politics off topic,  words like fairly to suggest that Apple deliberately hacked their computers to extort consumers into paying hundreds of times more for their soldered unto mother board SSDs that have the actual value of a cheap SD card?

I don't really understand the "politics" comment, and "fairly" was a qualifier to "fairly significant" as in "quite expensive". And actually, the internal SSD's in most of the M1 Macs bar the low end ones are actually very highly specced, compared to standard off the shelf drives. Superfast.

34 minutes ago, Gabriel777 said:

thanks for sharing info like this, my problem is that I had upgraded from Catalina and 2015 iMac, I had already relocated the sound library files unto an external drive.

Yes, this is exactly what the linked topic is to help you do - to basically relink to your already download library on an external drive. Did you try it?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, des99 said:

I don't really understand the "politics" comment, and "fairly" was a qualifier to "fairly significant" as in "quite expensive". And actually, the internal SSD's in most of the M1 Macs bar the low end ones are actually very highly specced, compared to standard off the shelf drives. Superfast.

Yes, this is exactly what the linked topic is to help you do - to basically relink to your already download library on an external drive. Did you try it?

Thanks again, i cant choose any other drives to download the content, they all say its there and its not

57 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

Find a Monterey installer somewhere. Let the Ventura ripen for about a year.

??? did you read thru this? he's been thru that several times already.

OSes don't 'ripen'; they get bug fixes, enhancements... and sometimes introduce new bugs. anyway, i've been on ventura since the first betas, and have been working in logic all along. so, all is well (or well enough).

Sorry, English is not my language, I use automated translator. If it makes for a weird phrase, I'll use it.

I'm old enough to know the unwritten law: New distros are usable after the first or second service pack. sometimes only after the fourth service pack. Until then, there is no point in wasting time and nerves on them.

17 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

Sorry, English is not my language, I use automated translator. If it makes for a weird phrase, I'll use it.

I'm old enough to know the unwritten law: New distros are usable after the first or second service pack. sometimes only after the fourth service pack. Until then, there is no point in wasting time and nerves on them.

there is no unwritten law, there is just our opinions and observations. and you've told us your opinion....

43 minutes ago, fisherking said:

??? did you read thru this? he's been thru that several times already.

OSes don't 'ripen'; they get bug fixes, enhancements... and sometimes introduce new bugs. anyway, i've been on ventura since the first betas, and have been working in logic all along. so, all is well (or well enough).

Funny I thought I replied a sec ago.

I contacted apple and was told that you can create a home folder on a external SSD using the advance features of the user account, the same area where you can change the name of the user.

Incase your wondering about upgrading, Ventura ironed out more bugs and saved me way more space then Monterey, its the most complete OS I ever upgraded and I do wait a year but since m1 is 100x faster then I9 Intel Macs and it takes 7 seconds to reboot the same crowded home user profile and plug ins I had. no issues re installing Monterey when I discovered an issue before, I had zero issues with Ventura since I upgraded...the space issue is un related, its just the question of optimizing and having files on a external ssd helps.

Edited by Gabriel777
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 1:58 AM, des99 said:

Re edited message, I moved the home folder as someone from a apple discussion thread suggested  using the advance options in the System Settings/Users and Groups, the exact address is obtained using the command keys option+right click to get info on the folder, in fact you can see the actually address just right click and then pressing option on and off, says copy then with option says copy directory address.

But you first need to create a second admin account, cause if anything happens Ventura will create a ghost account, breaking the whole system, the second account also helps with fixing things for other users, for example, I could not even copy the folder while logged in, I had to log into the new admin account, move the folder, set up the new address directory, no symbolic links etc all works like before.

There is also a chance to drag an older user into the internal SSD then create a new user profile with the exact same name, your prompted to use a different name or continue with one already installed, this re directs the new user so Ventura can see it as if it was previously created.. but that was not my goal.

As of now, I have over 750Gb to work with, my apple Notes are 80GB alone, then NI Instruments add up blah blah....

Someone advised to set the auto login on as well, like to the external home user account, but that's exactly the scary part cause if the drive looses connected I have to reboot into the internal admin.

Anyway this is solved, Logic is a dream studio in Ventura, faster, smoother and I can do crazy things like access my iPhone pro camera lol

thanks allot guys

Edited by Gabriel777
  • Like 1